Nintendo DS Wi-Fi at home?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Clinton McClure, Oct 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Does anyone know for sure if the DS can link up at home using a wireless router or does it have to be at certain hotspots, ala McDonalds?

I don't have one but my nephew is wanting one for Christmas and one of his dad's concerns is connectivety. I understand how the multiplayer works wirelessly between two units but I'm a bit fuzzy on the Nintendo Wi-Fi setup. Can anyone explain?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Yes. You might need a special hardware thing, but you can play online at home.

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

From what I understand, you can use your wireless router at home. If you don't have one but do have an internet connection, you can order a cable to connect the DS to your PC's USB port to go online. Can USB ports pass your internet connection to another device? I don't remember where I read this, but they also said that the cable will be available only through Nintendo.

4. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

keep in mind the USB dongle that Nathan A is talking about is compatible with WINDOWS XP only! So if you use the Windows 2000 or 98, it's not going to work.

Check out http://www.nintendowifi.com/ it has a list of what wireless routers are compatible with the DS. FYI I use the D-Link DI-624 which is rated 5 stars for compatibility.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I have no idea if my router is listed or not, but I had no problems getting it set up. Theoretically it should work with any router that speaks 802.11b though. Incredibly simple to set up though. The USB thing is a good last resort for those without wireless, but really, a wireless router can be had for less than 40 bucks these days, so you'd probably be better off with one of those than the dongle.

6. chad k

chad k Stunt Coordinator

Nope it works on home wireless routers, i play all the time while laying in bed [​IMG]

It even alows you to enter in WEP key for system if it is locked down with WEP.

Easy as can be to hook up. enjoy mario kart is a blast.

7. WesleyHester

WesleyHester Stunt Coordinator

John Hester
    I enjoy playing Mario Kart DS at home using my Netgear wireless network. Nintendo Wi-Fi is great when others are available to play.