What's new

Nintendo DS Wi-Fi at home? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Does anyone know for sure if the DS can link up at home using a wireless router or does it have to be at certain hotspots, ala McDonalds?

I don't have one but my nephew is wanting one for Christmas and one of his dad's concerns is connectivety. I understand how the multiplayer works wirelessly between two units but I'm a bit fuzzy on the Nintendo Wi-Fi setup. Can anyone explain?

Nathan A

Second Unit
From what I understand, you can use your wireless router at home. If you don't have one but do have an internet connection, you can order a cable to connect the DS to your PC's USB port to go online. Can USB ports pass your internet connection to another device? I don't remember where I read this, but they also said that the cable will be available only through Nintendo.

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
keep in mind the USB dongle that Nathan A is talking about is compatible with WINDOWS XP only! So if you use the Windows 2000 or 98, it's not going to work.

Check out http://www.nintendowifi.com/ it has a list of what wireless routers are compatible with the DS. FYI I use the D-Link DI-624 which is rated 5 stars for compatibility.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea if my router is listed or not, but I had no problems getting it set up. Theoretically it should work with any router that speaks 802.11b though. Incredibly simple to set up though. The USB thing is a good last resort for those without wireless, but really, a wireless router can be had for less than 40 bucks these days, so you'd probably be better off with one of those than the dongle.

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
Nope it works on home wireless routers, i play all the time while laying in bed :)

It even alows you to enter in WEP key for system if it is locked down with WEP.

Easy as can be to hook up. enjoy mario kart is a blast.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
I enjoy playing Mario Kart DS at home using my Netgear wireless network. Nintendo Wi-Fi is great when others are available to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks