What's new

Nintendo announces price and release date for Wii U (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dave - I feel like the end of the "launch window" (so, March timeframe) will be when the craziness around the Wii U has settled down, the firmware has gotten an update or two, more quality games are out (Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101 being the top three soon-to-be-releases), and the online system isn't crashing from too many users, then we will get to see the console for what it is. The reviews of it that are out today are primarily focused on the non-online aspects of the system since the online update was only released last night. Some games have really neat online features (Miiverse integration like New Super Mario Bros. U, or the stuff in ZombiU) but nobody could play them because they couldn't even get their consoles online. Kotaku's review of the hardware ended up saying you should hold out on buying the console for now and see how it turns out.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
It was a long update. My internet at home isn't really all that fast and it was like 2 1/2 hours to update the system. They didn't get their shipment of ZombiU in at Target, so all I had to play was Nintendoland, which I felt was fun for a couple hours, then it got kinda repetitive, like all the 2-player competitive games were exactly the same "Lead-&-Chase" type. I also had some problems with some of the Nintendoland co-op games that required the Wii-mote; in order to start the mini-game, the person with the gamepad had to hit A then the person with the Wii-mote had to point it at the TV to start, but despite pointing it right at the TV, it never started the game. The wiimote registers movements and controls just fine, but it would not start player 2 in the minigame. it was weird. Hoping to Pick up ZombiU in order to try out a different game.
In general, I wasn't excited about how much game-time attention needs to be focused on the Game-pad, so I've got this nice large HDTV that I completely ignore in lieu of the small 7" screen. Hopefully other games use that gamepad it a little bit better.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will say it and others may disagree.. but Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 on Wii-U is a better experience than on the PS3. Just my opinion, but very impressed with that title. It's your "must own" WiiU title, IMHO

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
CaseyL - Do you have the sensor bar set up above the TV? The 2nd player Wii Remote should be able to see the bar and register with the console. Is it all synced together?

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
the Sensor Bar is below the TV, actually. And yeah, the Wii-Mote actually works perfectly fine for all other things including Nintendoland 2-player Vs. But Co-op it will not start. It's funny because you get this message on the screen that says "Point remote at screen" and the character that is on the screen is moving perfectly with the controller movements, and is responding perfectly, it just won't start the game.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm enjoying it so far. Not loving the battery life on the touch pad controller, but Mario is a BLAST!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
CaseyL - Do you have a Remote Plus or a remote with Motion Plus? Is this a mode that requires it? I'm just throwing out ideas here. Have you tried another remote?

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Morgan: I've only got one with WMP built in to it. It was the Skyward Sword one. I don't have another WMP enabled controller.
All: After playing ZombiU for several hours, I can certainly say that developers who appropriately use the gamepad within the context of the game can really add dynamic to the environment and the feel of the game. I think ZombiU does this way better than Nintendoland. ZombiU is really engaging and interesting, and I always feel really exposed when I look at the gamepad, because a Zombie could sneak up on me and munch my face while I'm digging through my knapsack. I really have been enjoying it a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing how other developers use the gamepad in clever ways. As with so many other Nintendo innovations, the game developers have to use it, otherwise it just becomes the arbitrary "map" or something that isn't very thrilling.
I wasn't super excited to get a WiiU, but after using it awhile, I think it really has more potential than any other system to be an engaging, entertaining gaming experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks