What's new

Nintendo announces Game Boy Adavance SP (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Blah. I would've preferred the regular GBA design with a backlight.

-Dave

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
ebgames.com is accepting preorders, but for $129. The ad says it comes with a $30 coupon. Now wait a minute, since when do you have to PAY for a coupon? Charge me $99 and I'll go buy my games elsewhere for cheaper.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
why wait until march? get one in feb by importing one. GBA games and systems do NOT have a lockout, so you can pay a little extra and get one early. I did that with the first GBA...paid 125 for the system and two games two months before american launch.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
its the most gorgeous little system every designed. I can't wait to get my hands on one, and i already have two GBAs. Heck, I might even have bought one of these if it wasnt lit...

...maybe not.

John Torrez

Second Unit
Awesome, glad I waited. I've been wanting to get a GBA for Animal Crossing. I have a question though, I should still be able to hook this thing up to my cube right?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I've been considering an Afterburner for my GBA but now I'm just gonna wait for this. I like the looks of the new design.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I will probably hold out on getting one of these. I'll most likely get a GB Player for GameCube first, and then get one of these later in the year.

Either way, it's very cool.

BTW, anyone know how the screen is? I know that you can flip it up any amount you want, but how sturdy is it? How well does it stay where you put it?

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'm glad is folds shut for storage. I scratched the screen of my GBA in my pocket once. I just wish it took regular batteries instead of being rechargable. I'd rather carry two spare AAs in my pocket on a flight than the AC adapter.

jeremy

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, yet extremely sucky, that the battery is not user replacable. So I guess no buying second batteries for replacing on the go. Lame.

MatS

Screenwriter
it has been mentioned that you could buy another battery, but you would have to do so through Nintendo (no price has been announced)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you can buy a replacement battery, but you can't buy a 2nd battery because you can't swap a new one in without their special tool.

Richard_E

Agent
Does anyone know where/how to buy a Japan version of the Gameboy Advance SP now? Will it run all non-imported (US-based) games just fine?

Just curious. Not sure if I can wait until the U.S. release date, but I guess I will if I have to.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Well, I preordered mine at a local Gamestop. And THEN they informed me that it was coming out the same day as Zelda. The money isn't a problem, they're both preordered paid in full. But when will I find the time! Argh!

Richard,
There is a GBA discussion in the software section (not sure why) that is discussing where to buy the imported version. The imported GBA works just fine with US games, so I'm sure the GBASP wil too.

Oh, I preordered a Cobalt one. Thought it looked sharp.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
It's a better GBA, from what I can tell. I'll most likely end up getting one. ... And backlit!
The GBA SP (Special Project) does not have a new LCD. It is not backlit (a la Game Gear), but frontlit, utilizing the same light tech as the Afterburner, though the SP has LEDs mounted on both sides, rather than the Afterburner's bottom-mounted LEDs.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It was probably mentioned before, but I had a discussion about this with a friend:

Is the Afterburner a sidelight, frontlight, or a backlight? I said it was a frontlight and my friend said it was backlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks