Ninja Turtles: Special Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeathStar1, Dec 20, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Anyone hear anything from new Line on this long Rumored title? Supposedly the director is interested in revisiting it for DVD. It'd also be interesting to get the folks from Jim Henson doing costume retrospectives. I've also been told that there's been some deleted footage un earthed as well, b ut so far, no news on anything being done with it..

Anyone have anything to report?

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Didn't they just release the trilogy in a box-set? I doubt they'd revisit the film now...

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I hear that Paramount makes a new box set everytime a new DVD edition of one of the Star Trek movies gets released.

If New Line is just slapping the old DVDs in a box, I don't think that would stop them from making a new DVD.

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I'd buy a Special Edition of this. I'm a fan of Steve Barron's work.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

While here, any word on Barron's 1984 romantic comedy "Electric Dreams" coming to DVD?

5. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The first Ninja Turtles film has just had a nationwide theatrical rerelease in the UK, so if this adds fuel to the fire of a possible SE, read into it all you will.. [​IMG]

6. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

A theatrical re-release in the UK? Awesome! I can still remember seeing the first film countless times when I was a kid and after all these years it keeps getting better.

7. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Do they still call them the "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" over there? (And what was wrong with the word "Ninja" anyway?)

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The UK has the nunchucks back now, right?

9. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

It could really use a new transfer. Plus, when has a box set just being released ever stopped a studio from going back to re-do one of those titles.

10. Scott Ware

Scott Ware Stunt Coordinator

I think it could really use a special edition. The new show is a moderate hit for Fox, so they could tie in a special edition with that. There's also a bit of an '80s revival happening, so now would probably be the best time to do a SE. As previously mentioned, it could really use a new transfer, and I'd love to hear a commentary track by either the director or Eastman/ Laird.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I just watched Ninja Turtles 2 on Friday, for reasons beyond understanding. At any rate, I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, and I remembered all of the making-of things I saw around the time it was released - there was even a half hour home video that you could rent free from the video store when you rented the movie at the same time. I'd love that to be on a DVD release of it.

I'll pretend Ninja Turtles 3 never happened, though...

12. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Don't ask me for confirmation, I never did like the movie. :b But the BBFC site's update notes that all previous cuts are waived, for the cinema version.

I always thought it was a string of sausages that was cut from Ninja Turtles. [​IMG] I checked with www.melonfarmers.com, and it seems to be so.

The film was called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the late 80's cartoon series was retitled Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I have no real insight to offer as to why.. [​IMG]

13. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

New Line's a little spotty on special editions, save for LOTR. Most of the time the first release they put out is usually the last. The first releases are always great but their first DVDs, on the other hand, are average to say the least. TMNT definitely needs a special editoin as does Mortal Kombat, both transfers suffer from compression artifacts and blurriness.