1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Nine-year-old buys bullet-proof vests for RCMP dogs

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Ulmer, May 19, 2005.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...sts050519.html

Some good news for a change. My hat is off to this young girl for her initiative and determination in raising over $10,000 to buy vests for the RCMP's dogs in British Columbia. Miss Celina Dawdy, you are a credit to our society.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think I saw something about this... or something just like it on the news... or maybe Animal Planet.

Not only a worthy cause.. but also a great learning experience for a 9 year old.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, she isn't the first to do this. But she still deserves [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Forgive my ignorance, but Police dogs getting shot, is that something that happens a lot? Enough that every single one needs a BPV? Kudos, though, to the little girl, Celina. [​IMG]

5. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

In my country, there have been incidents where an armed person shot at and wounded or killed a police dog after officers who feared for their own safety tried to end a standoff by letting the dog try to control the armed person.

Training police dogs is patient, time-consuming work and expensive too. Not all dogs "graduate" from the training programme. Bulletproof vests are a great idea for not only humane reasons.

Thanks for posting the good news. [​IMG]

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It only needs to happen once to lose an animal. If we are going to send dogs or other creatures into harm's way, they should be afforded as much protection as possible, especially since they are not armed with the knowledge that they may be killed or injured as a result of their actions, unlike their human partners.