What's new

Nine Queens (Nueve Reinas) (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
This movie is now out on dvd. It is a great con game from Buenos Aires. The characters are conned, and the audience is never sure when it is being conned, but it surely is.

A fun film with that outdoes "The Sting."

I thought I'd break this one out of the "foreign film ghetto" thread. As was asked in that thread, any impressions on the dvd transfer?

Dan Dimopoulos

Auditioning
Good to hear that this has made it out to DVD.
This film was one of my favorites when I saw it at the 2001 Toronto Film Festival!

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I just saw this film a few weeks ago at the Love & Anarchy Film Festival in Helsinki... one of my favorites of the festival. I was disappointed to read in the DVD Talk review of the DVD that the transfer is disappointing and extras are nonexistent. :frowning: Oh well.

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jussi,

That's my review over there at DVD Talk, and I thought I'd assure you that the transfer is quite watchable; it's just not a mind-blower. Detail is fine, and colors are accurate. But there are ever-present artifacting problems that are a bit distracting. Still, I enjoyed the movie so much that I forgave the image problems. And yes, the lack of features is disappointing. Great film.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Thanks for the info... I always make the mistake of calling the overall picture quality the "transfer" when artifacts really have nothing to do with the transfer. Sorry. I'd certianly buy the disc if it were, say, in the $15 range, but as it stands now it's pretty low on my "must buy" list.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Just rented this last night thinking it was a movie in the vein of SNATCH or LOCK STOCK ... well thank God it wasn't.

It was a brilliant excercise in mind games much reminiscent of HOUSE OF GAMES and THE GAME ... where you are never quite sure what is going on.

Fast paced and great performances from the whole cast.

I love finding gems like this ... go out and get this now. It will surely not dissapoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks