What's new

Nine Lives review (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nine Lives is the sort of movie I don't have much experience with. There is no traditional unifying narrative structure. There are only nine real shots. And for the duration of each shot, we are stuck with these people whether we want to be or not. There's something unflinching about that. As the time builds, so does the tension. We are trained to expect cuts every couple of frames these days; by the time minute six rolls around there is a connection to place and time that is concrete and absorbing.
A large part of its power is derived from this novelty. Some of the scenes engaged me much stronger than others, and when I wasn't involved with the drama I used the time to admire the craft. By the time I'd gotten my head around the flow and form of the film, it ventured into places surprising and exciting.
Read the rest of my review here.

Anyone else see this film? What'd you think of it?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I hadnt heard of this film until Ebert and Roeper reviewed it this past weekend. The clips they showed left me wanting more (especially the one with Robin Wright Penn) so I would have to say that this is on my must see list. No wonder the whole poster is basically all the names listed. That's enough.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This fall's schedule has been a killer. Every weekend there are 4-5 new releases I want to see (including this one), and the best I can hope for is 2 over the weekend and maybe 1 during the week (time permitting). I'll probably have to wait for this one to hit DVD, because the schedule doesn't get any lighter for the next two months. Thanks for the review!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks