Nine inch versus seven inch guns

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Daboll, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Lou Daboll

Lou Daboll Auditioning

[​IMG] First post so forgive if I do something wrong. I have been looking at both FP and RP and have not yet made up my mind. My question is whether to go with 9" or 7" CRTs. My budget can handle the 9" but I don't know if there is enough PQ difference to be worth the price differential. In my local area I have not been able to see a 9" displayed. Can the normal eye really detect the difference and why does it take a 9" gun to fully resolve a 1080i signal?
    Also, can anyone give me a recommended list of FP and RP projectors with 9" guns?
    Thanks for any help,
    Lou [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Lou Daboll on August 07, 2001 at 10:53 AM]

2. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

Neither one can fully resolve 1080i HDTV.
    The bigger the CRT guns the better in that the 9" should last longer given the same output because you won't be driving it as hard. It will also produce a sharper picture given the same image brightness and contrast.
    Frank

3. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

I've heard that about 1638 lines of horizontal resolution is about all one should expect from 1920x1080i after filtering on the receiver side. I would bet the 64" screen 9" gun Philips 64PH9905 and 64PP9751 and Zenith IQB64W10W can do 1600+. The Philips 7" gun sets scored well in terms of resolution in one contraversial study (better than the rest of the 7" gun sets, 1602 +- 10%.) Whatever you do, don't listen to the manufacturer's claims about resolution, as there is no standard for measuring resolution.
    Contrast is another important aspect of image quality, and I suspect going to 9" really helps there, especially for daytime viewing. 9" guns pump out a lot more light. For an example of good contrast, take a look at the RCA MM38310, and see how dark the blacks and how bright the whites are, even close to each other, and how the picture takes on an eerie 3D quality. The resolution of direct-view sets is weak, though, due to the limitations of the shadow mask. Compared to the newer technology sets coming out now, high quality CRT-based sets generally have better contrast, higher resolution, cheaper prices, and an infinitely smoother picture, so CRT still rules.
    Front projectors supposedly have higher resolution than rear projectors in general, but I think those Philips and Zenith 9" RPTV's could give front projectors a run for their resolution, and would crush them for contrast. I was struck by the lack of contrast the last time I went to the movie theater, too. I'll probably get a front projector some day, but I fear I'll be disappointed when I find it to have less contrast and no better resolution than my current RTPV. Of course, for really huge screen sizes, you have to go front projector.
    This is kind of a strange time to be going so high end, unless money really is no object. The MPAA copy protection stuff has everyone on the net in a panic, as the MPAA seeks switch the HDTV standards to digitally encrypted all-pay-per-view-all-the-time with which no current HD-ready set is compatible. You may wish to research for 6 months before buying - hopefully the MPAA copy protection stuff will be settled by then (but most likely not.) Also, look for deals on 9" gun front/rear projectors, as the panic spreads and sales take a nose dive.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I so look forward to having all 1080i force fed to us in downgraded 480p or 540p or some BS fake 600i resolution. 9 inch guns won't matter a hill a beans because we will be denied actual HDTV content by our Lords and Masters, the MPAA.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Lou Daboll

Lou Daboll Auditioning

Thanks for the info, I have followed the encryption debate and am a little more optimistic that some workaround will be found for us early implementers. My only urgency for getting a set now is that I understand some of the manufacturers may be moving away from 9" guns to reduce their costs. I really don't need a set yet because we will be moving to San Antonio soon and I will build a theater there. I have heard great things about the Philips and the Marantz (essentialy the same I understand) but have been unable to find either within driving range and they both have pitiful web sites.
    Thanks again for your thoughts,
    Lou [​IMG]