Niles IPC-12 Power Conditioner: Experience/Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Gere, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

This unit seems to have the best protection and features within my budget of $450, but I can find very little about it on the web. Anybody own this? Have experience with it?
    Thanks!
    -PG
    [Edited last by Paul Gere on July 25, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

2. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

back up

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what are you looking to accomplish and what do you plan to attach to it?

4. Paul Gere

Paul Gere Second Unit

Fair questions.
    Objectives: Ensure clean power, quick clamping, programmable outlets (always on/delayed on/switched), 12v triggering with no audio or video degredation.
    Connected equipment will be:
    Preamp w/12v triggering...(5v, actually)
    2 VCR's
    Video Processors (2)
    DVD Player
    IR relay [Niles]
    [future] digital cable box
    Maybe a high-current multi-channel amp - maybe not, depending on the power conditioner's effect on audio.
    My projector and sub are protected separately.
    Hope this helps.
    -PG
    [Edited last by Paul Gere on July 26, 2001 at 05:17 PM]

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

certainly the niles unit (i think its actually made for them by SL Industries) has garnered some favorable reviews. prices i've seen on the web are less than $300 (yeah, there're higher ones too).
    SL Industries has been in business for some time so that bodes well for warranty and service if need be. You may even find that contacting them will put you in touch with other, possibly more robust units since you've expressed a desire to incorporate a future amplifier.
    The most honest answer I can give you is to have the specifications of your equipment available (things like power consumption) and get in touch with SL Industries to ensure the unit will do what you want it to.
    You'll find that many (not all) audio products in this power subset are actually OEM'd from major players in the industry and of course slapping the audiophile label on them generally results in an onerous markup.
    The first thing I'd consider is simply putting or running a dedicated line from your box to the room. It's an easy enough job to do yourself and even allows you to put in hospital or industrial grade outlets (the benefit is debateable, but as DIY project is cheap). Now since your system is on its own circuit, issues of the toaster going on, vacuums, irons, fridges and a/c are moot points.
    I'm sure many can suggest other alternatives such as from Monster, but the Niles unit certainly appears capable.