What's new

Nikon Z series Crop and Full frame Mirrorless - Z 5/6/7/50 and beyond (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So for those of you not friends on Facebook you missed the story. I left Friday night for three day football adventure
Fri hs football playoff game in nj
Sat ohio state vs md
Sun steelers vs Rams

fedex tried to deliver camera Saturday but my roommate was out of the house. They said they would deliver again Tuesday. I was PISSED but didn’t pay the charge to change delivery to my work address. I was noodling staying home from work till delivery. Fortunately somehow they decided to try again today and Roomie signed for it.

I get home late afternoon tomorrow and will post first impressions

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
:)
7E18FF2C-445C-4B59-9308-781E48A5DA2B.jpeg
D207D5D2-DF0B-4C90-8715-A249BB7A788A.jpeg
BA7658B5-E188-426E-B394-AD195FD559AB.jpeg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I still haven't shot a whole lot with my Z 50. Today Nikon offerred me $550 to turn it in for a new Z5 or $650 to step up to a Z6. Tempting. I'd really prefer the single digit Z series with IBIS, and the things the Z5 scuttles from the Z6 make that even more appealing. It got me to looking at the 24-70 F4 which is ridiculously priced at $999 tho. BUT Amazon has it refreshed for $518. I -never- buy refurb gear but this was too big a temptation for me. Sold. It will work fine on either the z50 if I keep it or the Z5/6 if I trade up.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I still haven't shot a whole lot with my Z 50. Today Nikon offerred me $550 to turn it in for a new Z5 or $650 to step up to a Z6. Tempting. I'd really prefer the single digit Z series with IBIS, and the things the Z5 scuttles from the Z6 make that even more appealing. It got me to looking at the 24-70 F4 which is ridiculously priced at $999 tho. BUT Amazon has it refreshed for $518. I -never- buy refurb gear but this was too big a temptation for me. Sold. It will work fine on either the z50 if I keep it or the Z5/6 if I trade up.

I didn't look into it before, but what exactly is the diff between Z5 and Z6 for $100 to matter in either direction?

Nikon being Nikon, I'm guessing there are some actual tradeoffs between them (and not a clear-cut, one-sided comparison) even though the Z6 should presumably still be better overall than the Z5 for a majority of capable users who can easily afford the Z6.

Ok, decided to at least do a quick google...

IF that comparison is accurate, then I'd think the diff is worth paying the extra $100 to go w/ the Z6 instead... unless having 2 card slots is all that important to you (even though they're only SD).

I also wonder if the Z5 actually has indentical (or possibly better?) ProRes (or maybe even raw) video output capabilities as the Z6 -- doesn't seem likely given some of the downgrades noted... although it may still come extremely close...

I don't personally miss the extra card slot so far, and I still haven't even found need to buy a (albeit expensive) memory card since my kit deal actually came w/ a 64GB XQD card -- I do keep tabs on pricing for CFexpress cards on B&H, but haven't found need so far.

IF I had that offer, I'd definitely go for the Z6 instead unless the Z5 turns out to be superior in some other significant ways not apparent from spec sheets...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You misunderstand. They offered me an EXTRA $100 to put towards the Z6 which is $400 more than the Z5. The Z5 is the new entry level Full Frame mirrorless. It's a little bit slower and a lot gimped in video, but otherwise very close to Z6 capabilities. Z6 also has a backlit sensor. I don't need a top end camera to keep in my car, in fact it's a disincentive to keeping the camera in the car if it costs too much. But the delta between Z50 and Z5 is very enticing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I have purchased refurbished gear (lenses and external flashes) direct from Canon in the past. The items always looked brand new, and I've never had an issue. Canon has some great deals on refurbished gear on their website at times, and include a warranty. Prices can sometimes be better than used prices.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I hadn't had any issues w/ a couple refurbed Nikon DSLRs (bought from reputable, authorized dealers) either: an early gen 5000 series for my kids some 8 years ago (that I used for over a year myself) and my D800 (from ~6? years ago)... and both are still functioning like new last I checked.

Don't recall buying any refurbed lenses (vs used ones) though... although it's possible my Sigma 105 f/2.8 OS EX macro is refurbed and I just forgot -- I only remember it being deeply discounted at the time (a few years ago) and highly recommended by others here...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My issue isn't with refurb per se but the very little price premium that buying refurb usually nets you. 15% difference? I'll buy new. 50%? OK I will take a chance with this one!

It came in over the weekend while I was away. Will test it tomorrow.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just got home. Battery had a slight charge, it's getting zapped up, used a 15A from my DSLRs to get started. Traded up in store from my Z-50, which is my backup camera. Now this will be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/albums/72157715696329848

Camera ships with Auto ISO on, was infuriating until fixed,

I bought the 24-70 F4 separately from Amazon last week, they have refurbs for half price.

Shown on the Platypod mini with the FTZ and 105 Micro and on the Platypod ultra with a cheap arca swiss mount. I just bought the F6/F7 L Bracket from Sunway via Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks