What's new

Nihongo ga dekiru hito ga imasu ka? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hey, I was just curious if anybody here spoke Japanese. I took three years in college and I'm trying not to forget everything I've learned (been out of college for almost a year now), so it'd be great to know if anybody else out there knows the language and whether anyone's encountered the same situation I'm in right now.

Zyaa, mata ne
"Erikku"

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yeah, I speak it. But I seem to rememebr more and speak much better when I'm drunk. :D

I haven't lived there since 1997, so I forgot a lot of the more complex words, but all in all I still remember it pretty well.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
LOL Mike, you sound just like me. I was in Japan in the summer of 2001 and people always told me how much better my Japanese was when I was drinking! I think it was just a matter of loosening up enough to not worry about making mistakes.

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator
Sumimasen, moichido onegaishimasu. Nani desu ka? O namae wanan desu ka?

That's all I seem to remember now.
Sayonara.

-Darren.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Eric-san,

Sukoshi nihongo ga dekimasu! Watashi mo daigaku ni sannenkan wo benkyou shimashita.

I also studied Japanese for about 3 years in college. That was about 5 years ago. I've been trying to keep up my knowledge by reading anything I can, watching anime and Nihongo terebi and reviewing notes.

My conversation skills are probably pretty poor, but I can still understand a lot of what I read and most of what I hear on TV.

It's interesting that MikeM mentioned that he can speak better when drunk. A friend of mine has been taking some Japanese classes and we never converse in Japanese when sober. We had a poker night a few weeks back and each had a few beers. The nihongo was flying that night!

I'll have to remember that next time I'm in Japan!

MikeM

Screenwriter
I honestly used to use Japanese more for nampa than anything else, so now it's a bit of a moot point to learn it again. :D

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fluent - speaking, reading, writing - was born and raised in the states, went to Japanese school for 10 years (from 1st grade to the end of junior high), and took Japanese again in college (which was sort of a breeze :D).

MikeM and Don - I also speak better Japanese after a couple drinks, it just seems to flow better - wierd, ain't it? :)

And Mike, were you successful? :)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Gee, with a name like Yoshi Sugawara, who would have guessed? :)

Do any of you guys have any recommendations for books to help refresh my memory? Right now I'm reading Kodansha's "The Handbook of Japanese Verbs" by Taeko Kamiya and finding it very helpful...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't speak it but I love to eat sushi and go often to the "real ones" here in L.A. where the chefs are all Japanese. Anyone care to give me some phrases where I can praise their craft and let them know how much I appreciate the delicious delicacies they make?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks