Nightmare on Elmstreet Question..

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DeathStar1, Mar 23, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm not much of a horror fan, but every now and then I'll watch one. My only really favorite rewatchable 'horror' film being Poltergeist.

Last night I came across Nightmare 1 on Encore for the first time. Having never seen it before, it wasn't a bad movie. The actor playing Freddie seemed to be having general fun with the role, and that always makes for an interesting villain.

However, toward the end it got rather confusing. Right around the time a firey Freddie is attacking the mother in the bed. He dissapears into the sheets, and the movie is apparently over....

So, what happens next? The lead girl turns to leave, he re-appears, and she 'defeats' him by turning her back on him as he dissapears..

Now, I saw the part earlier where they explained the logic behind this, but if this is the case, how and why does Freddie come back toward the very end again? Let alone how the girl is able to go from a dark bedroom into a lighted outside scene..

Are these things explained away in further sequals(not to mention if the leading lady survived the picture), or is it just left open to speculation?

2. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

My interpretation was something like,
    Nancy walked out of the room. At some point fell asleep and had a dream. The dream is what we saw in regards to her in the car and her mother getting pulled through the door.
    I'm saying that because in part 3, Nancy's mom is still dead and she's been taking hypnocil to keep Freddy from coming into her dreams.
    As for how he comes back, I guess I look at that as once he was out it became nearly impossible to send him back. The fear from the children was always enough to bring him back.

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

It's been awhile since I saw the Freddy movies, but it's interesting that Hypnocil from part 3 is again used in Freddy vs Jason.

And according to Freddy vs Jason, Freddy lives or keeps on living because he feeds off the fear from the children. So as long as the stories keep being passed around, there will be scared kids and Freddy will still exist.

4. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Okay, here we go.

In NOES the entire ending in which Nancy fights Freddy and he comes out of her dream are all one big huge dream. Nancy didn't wake up and set off the booby traps. Freddy killed her mom on the bed, and Nancy thought she killed him. When she stepped outside, she's still in the dream. She leaves with her friends... and discovers Freddy isn't dead. He kills the mother, and Nancy drives off.

Apparently (according to the comics) she spent time in a mental hospital, got out, started with hypnocil, and went to college.

The reason the end of part 1 is confusing is because Wes Craven intended the film to end with Nancy just getting in the car and driving off... with the mom waving, then you see the girls playing jumprope... you don't know if it was all a dream or what... you're just like "huh?" but New Line wanted to set up a sequel, so they insisted on an ending that showed Freddy alive.

5. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

This is the very first R-rated horror film I ever saw... This movie was scary and held up very well during it's day... It was very creative (one of the most creative ideas ever for a horror film during 1984)... I do think the movie is still good, but the movie was even better in it's day... The passing of time and too many imitators have taken some of the power out of it... Still, it's worlds better than many other horror films...

Robert is pretty much correct from my knowledge of the series... There is also a novel of the first movie that explains more... I liked the movie, but the novel takes you even further... Some good concepts in the novel that didnt really make it to the final movie as well... You also are told more about Freddy in his human days, etc... The Simon Hawk Friday the 13th novels for example give us things the movies never really did... Character Development, More Info, Backstory, etc... None of which is really in the movies...

If you are interested in seeing a direct follow up to Elm Street 1, here you go... Nightmare on Elm Street 3 is really the follow up to Part 1... Same Characters, etc... You could really skip over Part 2 if you choose and not even really miss a thing... Part 2 is really a whole different story, doesnt really add to Part 1, and completely changes the rules the first movie told us...

Most people also think it's one of the worst in the series... I must admit I had a good time with it because I just made fun of it... Exploading bird, leading male who screams like Liza Minelli, Gym coach getting a** slapped by flying towels, Freddy attacking teens at a pool party... It's 100% camp... If you dont look at it that way, you would probably hate it...

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Definitely skip Part 2 and move right on to Part 3 if you're interested in watching more.

You could also perhaps jump from Part 3 to "New Nightmare." It's been awhile since I've viewed all the films, but I don't think there's anything in between that is crucial (though I did like Parts 4 and 5) and NN is the next with Langenkamp (playing herself).

7. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I don't have anything to add to the movie, just wanted to share a NOES inspired story from my high school days.
    Our homecomming theme for the year NOES came out just happened to be Hollywood and each classes float had to select a movie and create a float based on it. My senior class went with NOES. We had this pretty cool house built with a giant clawed hand reaching out of the roof of the house, complete with blades and blood running down the side.

During judging, we got disqualifed because our float was "just way too violent" for the occasion. But because we worked so hard on it, they were still going to allow us to drive the float past the bleachers during halftime of the football game.

So, instead of the typical hand reaching out from the roof, we made a little "modification" and at halftime, there was the claw hand, now curled into a fist with only the middle finger sticking proudly up in the air as the float was towed past the bleachers!

8. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I've actually been watching the Nightmare series with my friends this week and we just watched Nightmare 3 last night, so the series is fresh in my mind. The finale is all a dream, Nancy never woke up.

Having just seen Part 2, I have to agree that it's pretty bad.

9. Ryan Wishton

One thing I dont understand is if the entire finale was a dream, how did Nancy's mother die??? That would mean her being attacked on the bed and being pulled through the window were part of the dream too...

How was Freddy able to get to Nancy's mother if he never truly entered the real world???

Did Nancy somehow pull her mother into the dream???

Kristen's mother died in a dream, but was still alive because it really wasnt her... Only her image...

10. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Same way he always kills his victims, in the mothers dream.

11. Ryan Wishton

Yes,

But, Freddy was never able to enter the adults dreams from what I have seen in the movies...

If he could have entered this easily, why didnt he just enter the dreams and kill all those that tourched him to begin with???

We never heard of Nancy's father, Kristens Mother, etc. having Freddy dreams...

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK, so the other thing I was a bit confused about as well...

All her friends really did die, and the ending that was one really big dream started when she fell asleep with the timer set for 20 minutes? And sometime during that period, it seems her mother must have fallen asleep as well, and joined her in the dreamworld...

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Freddy's intent was to terrorize the children of the community that killed him. I don't think it's so much that he couldn't enter adults' dreams, he just didn't want to most of the time.

14. WillG

WillG Producer

The whole point of Freddy's Killings was revenge on the people of Elm Street who burned him. The best way to get revenge would be killing their children and the best way to kill the children would be to enter their dreams where they could not be protected. Plus, he was a child molester/murderer in life anyway.

15. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

The one thing that always bugged me about the ending, was she told her dad to come over and catch freddy in 20 minutes.

Yup, within 20 minutes she rigged up all those booby traps and was able to fall asleep and find freddy and pull him out.

Musta been some long minutes [​IMG]

16. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, just like the Freeza/Dragonball Z fight that was supposed to take place in five minutes, only to stretch out for 6 thirty minute eps [​IMG]. Movie/TV Time works in mysterious ways..