NIGHTHAWKS-original music?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Does anyone have any idea if the upcoming Universal release of Nighthawks will include the original theatrical soundtrack?

Included on early VHS and laserdisc issues of the film, the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" and Keith Emerson's "I'm A Man" were later replaced with generic tunes due to licensing issues. The current VHS and Goodtimes DVD, as well as a mid-90s laser reissue, feature the "rescored" soundtrack. The original songs can still be heard when the film is broadcast on cable tv, which is rather frequently.

I'm glad the film will finally be available to Region 1 viewers in 16:9 OAR (it's already available in 2 and 4, "rescored"). However, if the original music is not restored, I'll be hard-pressed to replace my original DiscoVision and MCA VHS issues with the new DVD.

Jon

2. John Goodwin

John Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

Hmm yes,i hope they do use the original soundtrack.
    I watched it on tv a while back,and was puzzled to not hear the Stones track as they enter the club.

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Hopefully the correct music will be restored. It's been 20 years since NIGHTHAWKS has been available with its original soundtrack on video. I took a chance and ordered the recent region 4, then region 2, 16x9 remasters in the hope that they contained the original soundtrack. Neither did. I own the original DiscoVision LD and VHS both P&S/original music), remastered LD (P&S/rescored music), Goodtimes DVD (P&S/rescored), regions 2 and 4 (both 16x9, rescored). I think it's about time Universal releases NIGHTHAWKS in its OAR and with the original soundtrack.

4. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

I viewed the region 4 after selling the 4:3 Nighthawks in Region 1. I have the Sly Stallone, Billy Dee Williams, Rutger Hauer, and the late Persis Kambatta(ST-TMP) in a Wider/Higher view with Dolby Surround music that I like.

We are using all kind of country's DVD players, so why not the discs from those country's as well? I enjoy Wider/higher and 5.1 than the inital disc from R1, take "Conan the Barbarian' 2 editions were mono, but my R4 was released with 5.1 first time around.[​IMG]

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    Any word on whether this disc, with its fast-approaching release date, will have its original theatrical-release soundtrack intact? Haven't seen any early reviews...are their any insiders lurking about, with the pertinant information?

-Jon

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'd be surprised if it did.
    for the fans sake i hope so, but i would not bet on it as per other Universal rescoring controversies.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little confused. My Region 1 disc, one of the only pan and scan titles I own, DOES have Brown Sugar on the soundtrack during the club scene.

I am not familiar with the Keith Emerson song so that I can't vouch for.

8. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Disappointment confirmed. The new R1 version streeting next week DOES NOT contain the Keith Emerson or Stones tracks. There is no mention on the package that the music has been replaced. The package also falsely claims the soundtrack to be Dolby Surround. It's big fat 2.0 mono, same as it ever was.

Why I am I not surprised?

9. Glenn D

Glenn D Agent

I can't wait to pick this up next week, glad to have it on disc in OAR!

10. Hank

Hank Guest

I just received mine yesterday. I didn't check for the Stones track but the soundtrack seems to be the original score.

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    The original score has always been unaltered on video.

The problem comes with two songs that play in succession during a pivotal scene in a club. They are "Brown Sugar" (Rolling Stones) and "I'm a Man" (Keith Emerson covering Spencer Davis Group).

The video substitutes really bad, generic disco tunes supplied by in-house, anonymous MCA/Universal musicians.

Very disappointed to hear that these lackluster tracks remain on the new DVD. Universal has actually been quite good, lately, about fixing soundtracks for their DVD releases. Witness Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Thing, 16 Candles, Weird Science, Cat People, among others.

-Jon

12. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    Anyone know if Cheech & Chong's Next Movie and More American Graffiti have had their original soundtracks restored to the most recent Universal DVD issues?

-Jon

13. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    So, according to this thread in another forum, , the Goodtimes release of Nighthawks features the full, original theatrical soundtrack.

Judging from Matt and Jeremy's conflicting posts in this thread, it would seem there were different issues or versions of the Goodtimes disc. But, how to tell the difference? Are there any distinguishing markings--i.e. different UPC codes--on either version?

And, if one can find a Goodtimes disc with the original music, it brings another burning question to the discussion. The new disc features a slightly improved transfer and OAR, but rescored music. This is not a scope film. According to the comparison shown on the linked paged, the transfers and ratios are not much different.

Which is the bigger loss, the music track (which substitutes 4 songs in the altered version) or compromised OAR? Of course, with the low prices of these discs, it is easy to own both.

Jon

14. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Personally I do not remember the movie in such detail that I will miss these songs; I only know I liked it and look forward to seeing it again. The substitutions are unfortunate for those who have better recall than I.

15. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    FYI, I just picked up a sealed copy of the OOP Goodtimes Nighthawks on the cheap on ebay...lo and behold, it does contain the full, original soundtrack.

There are four songs missing from the recent Universal reissue, the most prominent of which are the Rolling Stones' Brown Sugar and Keith Emerson's cover of I'm a Man. These two tracks play in succession in the nightclub scene, which is probably the most striking and memorable moment in the film.

Without these songs, which the film utilizes perfectly, the intensity and momentum of the scene is irreparably compromised.

The transfer on the Goodtimes disc is far from pristine and is quite worn, at times. The new disc is anamorphic and features an improved and brighter transfer. However, I feel that with the crucial changes in the soundtrack, it is all for nought. The question remains, did Universal screw up with regards to the elements they gave to Goodtimes, or did they use the wrong elements to make their own widescreen disc?
    -Jon

16. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

I know this has been covered in length before, but I was hoping for some recent news anyone may have heard regarding the re-release of Nighthawks Universal recently put out; is that audio "problem" still on this current disc being sold...that is, the essential club scene where Hauer shoots it out with Stallone and the "Brown Sugar" medley is playing, yet on Universal's release, the song has been removed for some generic music...this is an essential part of the film and the music makes all the difference, as everyone had agreed...did Universal fix this? Will there be corrected versions of this disc in the future? I wont purchase this until I know if that music scene was properly restored.

17. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    As far as I've heard, there has been no change to Uni's current edition. The Goodtimes release is open-matte, but features the original soundtrack, as has already been mentioned

18. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Jon,

I do not see the Goodtimes version in stores, on shelves....only seems to be the Universal re release...is the Goodtimes version out of print do you know?

19. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

"Without these songs, which the film utilizes perfectly, the intensity and momentum of the scene is irreparably compromised."

And I absolutely could not agree more; this is a PIVOTAL point in the film, when Stallone calls out to Hauer in the club: "WOLFGAR!!" and the Brown Sugar mix is playing in the background....the absence of this music changes the ENTIRE feel of this scene.

I dont know if you are aware of it, but Paramount did something similar with "Saturday Night Fever," during the dance conetst scene...there was a version of Fever out there, not sure if it was VHS or DVD, which replaced the song the Latin couple is dancing to, and it ruined the WHOLE power of that scene....instead of the instrumental disco track (I forget who did the song on the soundtrack) there was generic, horribly recorded filler music put in by Paramount; it was terrible. Luckily, the 25th Anniversary DVD which I own, had the restored disco track during that scene.

20. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan

It is out-of-print, but can be found quite easily, and cheaply, on e-Bay or Amazon.com shops. The visual quality is not great, but by no means unwatchable. This is a gritty-looking film anyway you slice it.

Unfortunately, the Goodtimes disc is not presented OAR. The old link from Mobius had screenshot comparisons, but I don't think it's working anymore. There was slightly more information on the top and bottom of the Goodtimes image, while the Uni image has a smidgen more side information.