Nightbreed Directors Cut Petition (see post 12)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Scholfield, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Tom Scholfield

Tom Scholfield Stunt Coordinator

A while ago I heard that Clive Barker was trying to get a Director's Cut of Nightbreed released on DVD, does anyone know anything about this?

2. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

not me! but i'd buy it in a heartbeat !!

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I think I remember reading that this was scuttled some time ago. Unfortunately I don't have any solid articles toward which to point you. Anyone else have anything?

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I first heard of a Nightbreed Dir Cit about 3 years ago and havent heard a single update since.

I wouldnt hold my breath.

5. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Warner implied in a chat two or so years ago it was being worked on, but nothing has happened. Clive Barker has expressed interested in the past. I recall reading an article a while back which suggested the footage would need to be located first. Apparently, he's busy too with a Tortured Souls film. In other words, not any time soon.

6. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I caught the end of this on iNHD1 a few weeks ago in HD. I don't know if it was the director's cut but it looked very good.

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The movie is very interesting but a little disjointed. Barker has said over the years that the film would be much better had he been given final cut. I still enjoy what is there. David Cronenberg is especially creepy in it.

8. Ash Atchison

Ash Atchison Agent

Here's an excerpt regarding the DVD from a recent interview with Clive at clivebarker.com.

9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Fox seems to be pretty good at storing their outtakes (look at the ALIEN series), so the material probably exists, but as Barker points out, it's all a matter of somebody rummaging through the boxes and film cans in the Fox vault to try and find it all.

If I lived in LA, I'd volunteer, and while I was at it, I'd keep an eye out for the EXORCIST III outtakes :)

Vincent

10. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

In the forlorn hope that a feature-packed edition of Nightbreed is released, I'd like to mention that I recently re-discovered some behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, which could be used as DVD (HD DVD / Blu-Ray!) extras...

There are two programmes: a British film review show called Saturday Night at the Movies (broadcast May 27th 1989), which featured interviews with Cronenberg, Barker, Bob Keen and Geoff Portass; and an American show called Cinemattractions, which had interviews with Cronenberg and Barker.

I also have some photo's from an exhibition of Nightbreed props and costumes, which was held here in London.

If anyone reading this is involved in putting a Nightbreed disc together, I'd be happy to contribute them!

11. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett Stunt Coordinator

There is an edition of the South Bank Show that covered Clive Barker's career around the time he was making Nightbreed.

This was make an excellent extra on any Clive Barker DVD release. The documentary is 1 hour long and was made with Clive's full co-operation.

It is one of those VHS documentaries along with Heart of Darkness I've been meaning to convert to DVD. I'll get round to it one day.

12. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

No updates on this, eh? Seems like an obvious choice for a re-release. Too bad. Maybe if Barker's next film is a hit...?

And while you guys are looking for outtakes from Nightbreed and Exorcist III, how about deleted footage from The Thin Red Line? [​IMG]

13. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
  14. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

It's a little more complicated than just nagging Fox.

Morgan Creek was the production entity that financed NIGHTBREED; Fox released the film through a previous distribution arrangement. So Fox may have the negative material and trims in storage, but it is in fact Morgan Creek that would have to give the yay or nay to pulling it out and assembling the cut.

Morgan Creek's library is a little complicated right now too. They had a longtime deal with WB, and most of their movies are still handled by them for DVD - most notably TRUE ROMANCE. So if, say, WB's home video department came to them and lit a fire and said they want a director's cut release for Blu-Ray, that could make things happen. However, Morgan Creek currently puts new movies out through Universal, so WB may not necessarily want to deal with a company that is no longer on their lot.

But basically, to make it concise -- WB has the DVD rights, Morgan Creek owns the copyright, Fox is likely storing the footage. Work from there.

15. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I emailed Devin Faraci at CHUD and told him roughly the same thing, but didn't know about Morgan Creek's deal with Universal (are they even putting out new movies other than that one with Jane Fonda and Lindsay Lohan anymore?). Companies like Morgan Creek and Largo -- product released by Fox and Universal is now being put out on DVD by WB -- are bloody hard to keep track of.

16. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    does anyone know who the dvd producer was on the standard dvd? perhaps contacting him would be a good start.

Jacob

17. juda

juda Agent

Agreed..Would be an amazing release

18. jayman77

jayman77 Auditioning