Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough

Night Train to Munich Blu-ray Review

nighttrainmunichtop-1024x781.jpg

Night Train to Munich was an excellent learning project for director Carol Reed who obviously used his experiences with this thriller to later turn out a handful of real masterpieces in the genre.

[review]
Click here to read the original article.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I was hoping Costco would get this in their stores as I would gladly plunk down a 20 for it. If not I'll just wait for B&N's next Criterion sale.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Thanks Matt! I watched my copy last weekend and was very pleased with it. This is one of my all-time favorites and, although I had the Criterion DVD, I was thrilled when they announced the BD upgrade. This is one of those films I first saw as a child on TV and, for whatever reason, it has remained dear to my heart throughout the next 45 years.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Great transfer .. terrific evidence of how good vintage material can be on Blu ray when handled with care.
And a pleasing little movie, even though very below par if compared with what Hitchcock was already accomplishing at that stage.
Carol Reed certainly grew from this one ... especially in 'Odd Man Out' of course, and then in 'The Third Man'. And to think the same director gave us 'Oliver!' .. not that I'm knocking that lovely musical. It's just astonishing to trace the path from 'Night Train to Munich' to 'Oliver!'.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Great transfer .. terrific evidence of how good vintage material can be on Blu ray when handled with care.
And a pleasing little movie, even though very below par if compared with what Hitchcock was already accomplishing at that stage.
Carol Reed certainly grew from this one ... especially in 'Odd Man Out' of course, and then in 'The Third Man'. And to think the same director gave us 'Oliver!' .. not that I'm knocking that lovely musical. It's just astonishing to trace the path from 'Night Train to Munich' to 'Oliver!'.
Well there are definitely some elements from The Third Man in Oliver! (eg the entrance of Bill Sykes and the entrance of um The Third Man) :cool:)

That silly old Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences liked Oliver! well enough ..
they gave it Best Picture ;)

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Somehow I've missed this film over the years - it will be a blind buy at the next b&n sale. Thanks for the review!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Picked this up as a blind buy during the Criterion sale and watched it yesterday. Solid little suspense flick but the actors portraying the Germans looked about as threatening as Disney characters. Also, I always find the portrayal of evil Germans by English-speaking actors a little distracting but I understand why it's done. When someone like Tarantino takes a chance and actually casts real Germans speaking German, as he did in Inglorious Bastards, the effect is startling to say the least. Let's just say that one's ability to suspend belief is made easier :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You know what’s great about having a movie collection? When you suddenly get an urge to watch Night Train To Munich at 3am, and realize that’s something you can do. Coffee is brewing and this is happening.
This was made distinctly clear to me within the last couple of months when after a horrific wind and rain storm, my internet provider (Spectrum) went down for three days. I still had power, but I had no cable TV and no internet. But, with an over-the-air antenna I was able to keep up with local news and with my vast VHS, laserdisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and UHD collection, I was able to keep myself entertained all day long during that down time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I am investigating the idea of building a HTPC so I can put some discs from living room shelves into attic storage, but even if I do that...I’m not entirely comfortable with having my collection only on iTunes or something like that. We don’t get frequent power outages or internet disruptions but whether it’s on a disc or on a hard drive, I like having it local.

I remember during Hurricane Sandy and the week long power outrage that followed that I was watching a combination of discs on my laptop, and then DVD rips on my iPhone after the laptop battery gave out. Talk about saving something for a rainy day!

Anyhow, Night Train was just as enjoyable to me on this umpteenth viewing as it was on the first so many years ago. I had watched the recent U.K. BD of The Third Man the night prior (what a major upgrade that was from the original DVD!) and all day I was thinking I’d follow that with Lady From Shanghai (for the Welles connection) but Night Train jumped out at me at the last moment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've placed this on my upcoming viewing list as its been years since my last viewing of it. Matter of fact, I haven't viewed it since Criterion released it on DVD. I've had the Criterion BD for three years so it's about time I watched it.:blush:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've placed this on my upcoming viewing list as its been years since my last viewing of it. Matter of fact, I haven't viewed it since Criterion released it on DVD. I've had the Criterion BD for three years so it's about time I watched it.:blush:
Yep, time has a way of slipping by and years pass by like months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks