What's new

International Night Passage (1957) out now in France (1 Viewer)

Gangolf

Agent
Real Name
Ronald
This wondeful photographed western ist out now in France and will be released in Germany this summer.
I hope the fantastic autumn colors of colorado will be presented in all of his fantastic yellow and orange shades like on his first screening in 1957 and in Technirama as it stands for.

Is there more information about the restauration (sony) or which source material was used?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Night Passage was photographed by William Daniels. This was the film which introduced me to Mr. Daniels' work. I've been a fan ever since. I regret very much that younger film enthusiasts do not seem to know how good and how versatile he was.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Good find, I only was aware at the Explosie Media release.
It will be interesting to see some caps of this one - if done right it could look fantastic.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Good find, I only was aware at the Explosie Media release.
It will be interesting to see some caps of this one - if done right it could look fantastic.

"If done right" is the big proviso. What elements are they working with/from? I doubt Universal has given priority to this title so I'm guessing the transfer does not come from Universal.

I've wanted Night Passage in high definition from the early days of Blu-ray and HD-DVD - William Daniels, Technicolor, Technirama - but I'll wait until I've heard some informed opinions before buying this disc.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"If done right" is the big proviso. What elements are they working with/from? I doubt Universal has given priority to this title so I'm guessing the transfer does not come from Universal.

I've wanted Night Passage in high definition from the early days of Blu-ray and HD-DVD - William Daniels, Technicolor, Technirama - but I'll wait until I've heard some informed opinions before buying this disc.

Hard to believe that it will look fantastic but maybe something on the level of Exodus or Airport is possible where they worked from 35mm reduction elements.

Unfortunately the great cinematography comes with a movie that doesn't have much of a following even among western aficionados so it is probably better to have reasonable expectations.

Gangolf

Agent
Real Name
Ronald
Maybe in Region B as far as video release, but Universal-International in 1956, was the production company and it was distributed by Universal Pictures.

That's right! I don't mistrusted at this point.
We've talked at cross-purposed. You say so in AE?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hard to believe that it will look fantastic but maybe something on the level of Exodus or Airport is possible where they worked from 35mm reduction elements.

Unfortunately the great cinematography comes with a movie that doesn't have much of a following even among western aficionados so it is probably better to have reasonable expectations.

Well if they use the same master that was on TV, it will look fantastic, I remember posting here about it when I saw it. Universal do some great (unsung) work on 40s & 50s films, but...always best to read a report or two before buying.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well if they use the same master that was on TV, it will look fantastic, I remember posting here about it when I saw it. Universal do some great (unsung) work on 40s & 50s films, but...always best to read a report or two before buying.

Well I guess we will know soon enough what the French give us - they will most probably use the same master that was used for the TV airing that you saw, hopefully without adding any DNR...

john a hunter

Screenwriter
While it should look fantastic(I love the Technirama logo),I recall the film was a bit of a mess.
Perhaps it wouldn't have been if Anthony Mann hadn't walked.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. .. the film was a bit of a mess.
Perhaps it wouldn't have been if Anthony Mann hadn't walked.

I don't want to be rude but the point you have made is one of the most tired clichés in opinions about movies.

Night Passage is not a mess. It's a very neat and tidy film. Its weakness is that's it's not emotional enough or dramatic enough. It definitely could have been better, and a more appropriate director would have made a difference. But the assumption that Anthony Mann would have been more appropriate is wrong. The superb screenplay for Night Passage needed a director who was really good with actresses, excellent with tension and superb at action sequences. Other than William Wyler, I'm not sure who would have been ideal and William Wyler did not make modest, unambitious films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks