1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

"Night of the Living Dead"... reccmmendation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    At one time the ELITE version of this title was the cleanest and best restored transfer around. Is there a better version available since then? Recommendation?

2. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Still is. Get the Millennium edition.

-paul

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Note that there are now two discs from Elite, the original release, and the newer Millennium Edition that Paul mentions. The Millennium Edition is definitely the way to go, featuring an improved transfer and all of the extras from the wonderful laserdisc that Elite released years back. The original Elite disc is a good fall-back in case you can't find the Millennium Edition, but avoid all other discs at all costs.

DJ

4. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Does "The Millennium Edition" have a better transfer than the orig. Elite release? I was under the impression they were identical.

5. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

...and I was under the impression that the new Millenium edition had a sepia colored tone during the credits which is not present in the original Elite release. I remember someone putting a page up showing the differences between the two. I have the original Elite release and held off on buying the Millenium due to this fact. By the way, am I the only one who really loves the way the original disc starts with the unrestored opening which then goes into the THX logo. I really think that is cool and it is a shame they left it off the Millenium release.

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

The DVDs both use the same transfer, but when I was comparing both the DVDs, the opening credit sequence on the Millenium Edition looked more "browner" than the one on the original Elite DVD.

If you do a search on the forum when the search comes back, you should be able to find my comparison.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Although both transfers are sourced from the same master, many reports I read indicated that Elite did a much better job of compressing the transfer on the ME disc.

DJ

9. Matthew Chmiel

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

The 5.1 remix nicely opens up the sound I've read, yes???

I might rebuy....

12. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Damn, I ordered the original Elite version more than a month ago and am still waiting, afraid to cancel my order, they're awkward to get around here. Oh well, at least it'll be a decent transfer. I have previously returned 2 "expensive" versions (one was a fancy-looking SE "30th" ann. package version from somebody) and they were crap. Looking forward to the Elite version, even if it's not the Millenium.

OT, but not a whole whole lot for you weirdos, what's the diff between the two Elite "I Spit on Your Grave" versions? Same transfers in the two versions?

13. Matthew Chmiel

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks Matthew. Funnily enough, the ME is also cheaper at my usual dealer...that was raising a flag.

15. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I've got the ME, and an earlier version that was a present from my brother a year and a half ago... I adore the ME. The 5.1 is masterful, and the extras are quite nice, even the audio-interview with the star of the picture, the guy who didn't want to be an actor...

Since I've never seen the other Elite edition, I can't compare that, but the ME was money well spent. Same with their version of Re-Animator.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    You guys are EXPENSIVE!!! Changed my order for the ME's of both movies I mentioned. Oh well, if it weren't for DVD's, I'd just waste the $$$ on food and clothing...

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Yeah, I kinda liked that too. Brief moment of panic that I bought the wrong version then Whew!

-paul

19. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I'd never seen, or hear, anything like that... that sounds kinda cool! Like the opening of albums that have a very low level, just to get you to crank up your stereo to hear what they are singing... then they blast you! That's great!

20. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I have a suspicion that the new edition is the theatrical R-rated cut. The original version is supposedly the unissued, unrated cut. (I have not purchased either version, but do have a copy of the original VHS release)

The story goes something like this - the MPAA required cuts to the film for an R-rating, and when the film first went to video, the original unrated cut accidentally (read - covertly by the director himself) ended up on video, in spite of labelling showing the MPAA's R-rating label. When the MPAA found out, the video was forced from the shelves.