Night Of The Living Dead - New Elite version vs. old Elite version...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    When I bought NOLD, it was one of my first DVD's, (the only one I own with the pull-out drawer) and I was amazed at the picture quality in the source material by Elite. The dual commentaries were great as well.
    [​IMG]
    Elite has now re-issued the film complete with remaining supplements from the LD (Duane Jones' interview, etc) that were not included on the first version. My local area Rogers Video has it for rent.
    Any comments on the re-release? The red case is cool, but is the picture improved? (The first version was stellar, when THX certification still meant something)

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

If you want all the extra's that were on the Elite laserdisc than the Millenium edition is for you. If you are happy with your current version than I would keep it because the transfers are pretty much the same. The ME also has the THX Optimizer test patterns.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Looking at your thread title, I thought you were going to tell us.
    [​IMG]
    Doug

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thanks, Greg!

I read through the discussion, and it seems that the upshot is "not worth upgrading" - is that the general consensus?

The new transfer is said to be practically identical to the previous (outstanding) one except for some sepia-like shading during the opening credits(?). Unfortunately, they monkey'd around with the soundtrack for the new disc, but apparently were smart enough to keep it largely mono with only very rare surround activity. There are some LD supplements on the new disc that weren't on the old one, including some ephemera galleries and script-pages. However, they deleted the "Elite" opening from the previous DVD disc (with the Elite logo crashing through the nasty, grainy, dupey looking print just before the gorgeous THX-approved transfer splashes wonderfully across the screen). And the new DVD only has 12 chapter stops, as opposed to 31 on the previous disc.

(Thanks to Matthew Chmiel for his great review!)

6. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Thanks for the link - nice leg work on the new edition Matthew.

This is what happens when you don't get to visit much and follow release schedules as closely anymore.(sigh...) :b

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I thought the transfer itself was the very same one as the earlier release--that this new release simply features the additional extras. No?

8. Rain

Rain Producer

Jack, did you click the link above?

Given the odd sepia toning in the opening, it would appear it isn't the same transfer...unless there is some other possible explanation for this.

Check out Chmiel's in-depth review.

I have personally opted not to "upgrade."

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Just looking at the feature list told me it wasn't going to be worth the upgrade. The picture alreay looks amazing on the old disc, and the added extras seemed more of the fluff variety (other than the script pages). The meaty stuff is already on the old disc.

10. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit