Night Of The Living Dead - Elite or 20 Century Fox Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WilliamG, Oct 15, 2005.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

So I'm in Wal-Mart today and run across this title from Fox. I looked for the Elite Edition at Best Buy and they don't seem to stock it anymore. Have I waited too late to get this? If so, what's the general opinion of the 20th Century Fox edition?

2. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I would always suggest the Elite version. If not for the only reason that they were the first to treat this title (and horror movies) the respect it deserved. If it wasn't for Elite in the laser disc days I doubt we would have companies like Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, Synapse and all the other little DVD companies that release horror flicks. You can still get the Millennium Edition from online places. The Elite disc has trailers nad the "Night of the Living Bread" parody, the orignal mono track and 5.1, still photos, scrapbooks and the full script and more.

However, the Fox disc has an audio commentary from Mike Nelson of MST3K so.....

--Ian

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    The Elite disc also features two audio commentaries. The Fox release is pretty worthless IMO. NOTLD isn't a "bad" film so the joke commentary really doesn't work.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

So... it sucks. This one's not funny or clever at all...

5. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

I have never heard it but I am a MST fan. That stinks that its not a good commentary or funny.

--Ian

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    I'm not a die-hard fan of MST3K but I don't hate them. The Fox release of REEFER MADNESS with the commentary was very funny. I just think it's hard to make jokes at a film that isn't bad like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. There were a few funny moments throughout the track but there was way too much dead space and many of the jokes did fall flat because, well....NOTLD isn't "bad".

However, I am looking forward to the upcoming PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE release even though they are going to edit other things into the film (not just the colorization, commentary...).

7. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Go with the "Elite" version, no question. My only complaint with that release is the red amaray case, which I prompty chucked away and replaced with a smoother black case. I thin kit works better with the cover art motif.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Elite. And that's from a die-hard MST3K film. I love Mike Nelson, but not when he freelances. Write another book, Mike!

9. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    What ever happened to Synapse anyways? Did they go under? I tried finding their webpage but it seems long gone and I can only get a little info by clicking on cached on a search engine...

Mike

10. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    www.synapse-films.com

They just released a "R-rated" THRILLER: A CRUEL PICTURE and have a couple more coming up this month including the infamous THE NAILGUN MASSACRE.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Michael Elliott said it perfectly regarding the Nelson Commentary, There were a few funny moments throughout the track but many of the jokes fell flat.

Regarding the image, the so-called B&W version on the Fox disc offers a perfect example of how these B&W versions that Off Color Films offer really are just the color versions with the color turned down, in a scene in the kitchen there is a cutting board on the wall behind Duane Jones where the color overlay was not done properly and you can see it bleeding & fluttering over the edges of the cutting board, this "fluttering" is also seen in the "B&W" version, therefor it is just the colorised version with the color turned down.[​IMG]

12. WilliamG

I've never ordered a DVD online, so where would you recommend I buy this one?

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Amazon has a huge selection and they're 'safe' to order from as well.

14. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

And they're working on a re-release of Document of the Dead and the first DVD for Basket Case 2.

15. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Correct me if I am wrong but, for some reason my subconcious keeps telling me the millenium version is the one to get.....now it's the elite version?

16. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

17. WilliamG

Jim,
    The Millenium and Elite versions should be one and the same. The DVD that I saw last year at Best Buy was the one referenced in the first review of the above post. It's from Elite and entitled "The Millenium Edition". Not sure why the cover art is different in the second review.

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Elite is a company. They released two different versions of Night of the Living Dead on DVD: the first was entitled the Special Collector's Edition (the cover has an airbrush-style rendering of the famous image of the little girl), and the second was entitled the Millennium Edition (with a gravestone-style cover graphic). As between the two, the Millennium Edition has updated video and additional extra features. These are the only editions of the film on DVD made with the participation of director George A. Romero.

DJ

19. WilliamG

There you have it. Thanks, Damin!

20. Johnny Jr.

Johnny Jr. Stunt Coordinator

now that my head has stopped spinning I thank you [​IMG]