Night of the Living/Dawn of the Dead DVD query

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

Ok, don't tell Chmiel [​IMG] , but I'm looking for these two films on DVD. Alas, I'm having difficulty finding them in my area.
    Can anyone confirm that they are still in print?
    From what I understand, the Special Collector's Edition is the preferred version of Night of the Living Dead.
    Which version of Dawn of the Dead is recommended? Anchor Bay put out an Anniversary Edition of the U.S. Theatrical Cut...am I correct in assuming that is the better one.
    Any comments on quality and/or availability would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Rain, I can't help you with DAWN OF THE DEAD (it's my understanding that I should be waiting for the "good" DVD that's just round the corner, but I don't actually know any details...)
    But I do know this. Make damn sure your version of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is from Elite and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Thanks, Al. That's the one I was referring to (you told me about it before). Do you know if it is still in print?

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Every site I checked has it out of stock/backorder except CDNow (and that's because they don't say). You may have to seek out other sources such as auction/used locations. Or place and order at CDNow or Amazon and cross your fingers.

5. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Rain, you are in luck http://www.cnl.com has some in stock for $42.16
    I think their store is in Vancouver or Burnaby
    I got one from them about a month ago, great disc !!!

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I don't think the Elite NOTLD is out-of-print; it's just hard to find. Alot of brick-and-mortar stores seem to have a copy or two whenever I visit them. But the situation might be different up there in Canada. [​IMG]
    Regarding Dawn of the Dead, there are two versions out there: the Director's Cut and the Theatrical Cut. Anchor Bay has stopped printing the DC, so if you want that one, your best bet is to check eBay and other auction sites. The Theatrical Cut is readily available though.
    As was previously mentioned, Anchor Bay is reportedly working on a box set of DOTD, which will include several different cuts and a ton of bonus material. But I have no idea when this will be released; I've heard anywhere from mid-2002 to early-2003. So it's really a matter of how long you can wait if you want the primo version of DOTD.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

The Elite NOTLD is not out of print. It's just hard to find in stock since not many people are ordering it. I don't think it can go out of print since the movie itself is in public domain.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

Damn, Julie! Good point. You so smart. [​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rain: Just curious--do you (or anyone else here) like Tom Savini's 1990 remake of the Romero classic? Call me a heritic, but I enjoy that film even more. JB

10. Rain

Rain Producer

Actually, Jack, I've never seen either version. I have seen Dawn of the Dead several times, which is why I am interested in its predecessor as well.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    If you don't want to wait for the long-delayed Dawn of the Dead set, I think the US Theatrical is the one you want. I tried without luck to find this excellent page that compared the two, but I think it boiled down to the Theatrical having a superior print as well as being George Romero's own preferred cut (despite the other being called the Director's Cut).
    Here's a page comparing the versions:
    http://www2.gol.com/users/noman/versions.htm

12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Rain, you HAVEN'T seen NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD? Drop whatever you're doing and get it NOW. Good God, man! [​IMG]
    By the way, I have the Elite THX version... and it's the only way to go. Most of us have suffered for years with shitty prints and blurry VHS copies. The first time I popped the disc in, I almost fell off the couch. It's that good.

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Hey Rain, my $.02...

By reputation, NOLD on video has always been made with substandard prints. (Think Madacy quality). Elite went right to the source material when they created the laserdisc version several years ago, and that version was carried over to DVD.

Just pop in the DVD when you get it for the first clue as to what kind of company you're dealing with. Those who own this DVD know what I'm referring to...

Definitely stay away from the 'expanded' edition. This was made with new footage created by the film's producers specifically for this release, and they have altered the structure of the film. STAY AWAY!

The commentary by the cast is a lot of fun, and the production commentary (Romero et al), while not as full of anecdotes, is informative.

14. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The Elite NOTLD has been largely unavailable on occasion before, but there have always been subsequent printings. Elite may discontinue it one day, but I'm guessing it's one of their biggest sellers. I'd be surprised to see it go OOP anytime soon. But it could happen...

18. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen the '90 remake of NOTLD since I saw it in the theatre, but doesn't it end differently than the earlier version? I seem to recall it did, and the earlier version's stark ending with Duane Starks getting shot accidentally and burned with the zombies really sets it apart from the typical horror movie "lone survivor" ending.

I'm waiting for the AB Dawn, and I was able to get the Elite NOTLD from digitaleyes.net for around $20 about six months ago. The image quality was amazing compared to what I'd been used to, and the two commentary tracks are great fun-- a reunion of old friends who got together everybody they knew and made a cult horror classic.

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Well, I guess the commnetaries on the Elite version are probably licensed by Romero et al, but as the '68 version is public domain, I don't think they need a license for the film itself.

And I think I recall reading that one of the principal reasons for making the '90 remake of NOTLD was to establish a copyrighted property for Romero and his crew, considering theirs had been lost in the original.