Night of the Hunter's OAR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bo Myers, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Bo Myers

Bo Myers Auditioning

Hi everyone; long time lurker, first time poster.
    I've searched the forum, varous e-tailers and imdb.com for the OAR of Night of the Hunter to no avail. My MGM DVD is "modified" to fit my screen, yet the case states Standard screen format with "Theatrical release format" in fine print below. What the heck?! I could swear I saw this great film letterboxed on VHS several years ago. Does anyone have any info? Thanks in advance!

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Welcome!

I agree it's a great film, just acquired it a few months ago, tho I had seen it on TV some years ago.

Would Like to see Lillian Gish in WHALES of AUGUST come to DVD, tho the last appearance of Rober Mitchum I saw, in DEAD MAN, is on disk I believe.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, maybe some of the reel history buffs here can come thru tho!

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Not quite sure how a letterboxed version came out of this film. It's 1.33:1. Criterion's LD was presented at Academy Ratio (1.33:1).

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...actually 'Academy aperture' at that time (1950s) was 1.37:1... which, incidentally, is the AR the movie was filmed in and originally shown at... any 'widescreen' release would not reflect the OFAR nor the OTAR...
    ...a truly 'classic' movie...
    (signed) Passing Pedant

5. Bo Myers

Bo Myers Auditioning

Patrick:
    I had a suspicion this film was originally presented at Academy ratio. Whether it is 1.33:1 or 1.37:1, as Hendrick states, I feel better. The "modified to fit your TV" graphic at the beginning of the film just sent a red flag.
    As for my recollection of this being letterboxed, chalk it up to poor memory, I guess.
    This is one of those movies that's so great, I'd be willing to watch it on a 13" screen through several layers of gauze with a cataract![​IMG]