1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Night of the Hunter - SE soon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Peterson, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I attended a screening of a new 35mm restored print of "Night of the Hunter" last night in Chicago. MGM-UA archivist John Kirk, who coordinated the restoration introduced and discussed the film afterwards. He mentioned that Charles Laughton's widow Elsa Lanchester(The Bride of Frankenstein) donated eight hours of home movies and outtakes from the filming of "Night of the Hunter" to the UCLA film archives. Some of this footage is slated to be on an eventual SE release of movie. Mr. Kirk did not know when this was due, but mentioned it was probably 1-2 years away. UCLA is trying to trim the outtake footage down to about 90 minutes for a documentary that should be touring the big cities sometime next year.

During the discussion, Mr. Kirk also stated that he is working on restoring "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly", but that it would be quite some time before completion.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

A Night of the Hunter SE would be great! Unfortunately, I doubt that MGM has any intention of releasing it soon. Still, I'd love to see it!

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This movie is one of the films that I watched as a child that influenced me to be a film buff today. It was and still is a very influential film in my life! We could only hope that MGM releases this excellent piece of cinema on dvd again with all the special edition features and a new tranfer.

Crawdaddy

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Love the movie and would love an SE release.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Just watched this film this afternoon. I had not seen it straight thru in years. A great & interesting film and a tribute to the absolutely towering talent of Charles Laughton.

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>a tribute to the absolutely towering talent of Charles Laughton

7. Robert Crawford

Robert

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Forgive me for not mentioning Mitchum's performance! It just goes to show you that Oscar loves $$$$$$$$$$$$$ sometimes more than art!!

9. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

This is one of my all-time favorites ! I hope MGM does a special edition re-release.

By the way, what happened to all the MGM re-releases that were due in early 2002 (Usual Suspects, Fargo, Raging Bull, etc) ? I have not seen any announcements yet.

10. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I saw this film for the first time ever a few nights ago and was completely blown away. What a great movie!

Any news on an SE? I would like to buy this one, but I can hold out if an SE is in the works. Anybody hear anything lately?

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I can't wait for an SE either. The current DVD is ok, but I'll definitely buy a 2-disc SE the minute it's released.

A little off-topic, but I bet that someday, some shmoe in Hollywood will decide to remake this film. I'm the type of person who ends up loving just about any film getting remade (the idea, but usually not the end product, i.e. Rollerball) - but not this one. It's a true gem.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert

13. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

A recent AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER article on the restoration says that a new DVD will come out eventually. I think MGM will bring it out as soon as all the supplementary work is completed. Apparently, the restoration was going to be limited to just the doco footage, but someone had the idea of applying the same methods to the feature itself. 'Before-and-after' shots of the film definitely favoured the restored print, which should look lovely on disc when it comes out.

John Kirk was on a lot of those MGM Bond S.E's. It'd be great to think that NOTH and TGTBATU would benefit from a similarly comprehensive range of extras. Someone, somewhere should make the effort to get Eli Wallach and Clint Eastwood for commentary tracks while they're still in a position to participate.

14. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I don't want to steer this thread off-topic, but has anyone read the novel? Is it worth finding and reading? This is one of those films on my list to see, but I'd like to read the book first if it is worthwhile. Thanks.

15. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Greg, I found it in the bargin bin at Borders and bought it several months ago for $2. I never have sat down and read the whole thing, but from skimming it looks like the book's 1st 80-90 pages deal with events that happen before the movie, mostly concerning the boy's Dad and stealing the money, and that a lot of the film dialogue is verbatim from the book.

16. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

17. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

The British Film Institute has a nice line of bookets about films.

I only have the "unusual" examination of Hitchcock's "The Birds" by Camille Pagia.

The BFI has a booklet (78 pages) on "The Night of the Hunter",

but I have not read it yet.

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Has there been any updates with promise of a S.E. of "Night Of The Hunter" on DVD anytime soon?

I've read other threads on the forums that make mention of 12+ hours of home video footage shot during the making of the film which was supposedly being worked into a full length documentary which was said to appear on a Special Edition re-release of "Night Of The Hunter" in the near future...

Does anyone know what's become of this or if there's been any updates from MGM in regards to a re-release?

19. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I guess not..?