What's new

NiGhT oF ThE CoMeT (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's cool. :)

Yeah, I wish they'd at least loaded the trailer on there as well. Perhaps it'll turn up. I know it's somewhat viewable here....

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thanks for the link to the trailer, radioman.What do you mean perhaps itll turn up? ,they didnt mention it in the review.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ok, I see what you mean.Anyway Im willing to bet they made this dvd barebones on purpose, just so they could doubledip it, with tons of extras for the 25th anniversary in 2009.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I checked amazon; they do list it as widescreen, but it does not say "Anamorphic...!!" So let's hope. Amazon lists no extras whatsoever. Let's hope on that one too--well, next week we'll find out how loud we're gonna howl; if at all--

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ethan, check on page 2 of this thread, it has a link to a dvd review that confirms anamorphic widescreen.Thats more than enough proof for me, why would the reviewer lie ???

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The reviewer could be mistaken, as it has happened before with other reviewers.

The back cover shot shown at DVD Empire (dvdempire.com) is suspect as it only says "Widescreen." Fox usually puts the word "Anamorphic" underneath, but Fox's track record for omitting the word "Anamorphic" when the titles are indeed anamorphic is pretty high; check out numerous TV-DVD titles. But I'm not assuming anything yet.

However, we can count on the HTF to confirm anamorphic treatment on release day!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Im pretty sure too Keith, that someone will come to this thread on Tuesday to confirm as well, at least im hoping, since my chances of recieving mine by then here in Greece are slim to none, lol !

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ive recieved mine today, I can confirm it is indeed 1.85.1 anamorphic widescreen.The transfer just from chapter skipping looks decent,similar to the old line of mgm midnight movies.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got a screener of solarbabies. the DVD includes both widescreen and full screen versions of the movie. the menus are pretty simple. the picture is really good for a 21 year old film. It has Dolby surround.
the widescreen is on side B.
Jacob

Colton

Supporting Actor
I wonder what the story is about getting a clean transfer of this movie. From what has been said - the negative was lost, so did they clean up a older transfer?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
So I wanted this title, had a Best Buy rewards coupon, and checked online and it stated that Best Buy did indeed have it both online and in the retail stores.

So, in frigid 15 degree temperatures last evening, I dragged my wife out of the house and we went over to Best Buy to find this movie.

We looked in the new release section - nothing. We looked in the Horror section - nothing. We looked in SciFi - nothing. Then we spotted the three rolling carts filled to the brim with DVDs waiting to be put on shelves. So we started looking through those. They are of course in no particular order, aren't on the carts with titles "out" so you can read them, so you have to pull it out to see what it is.

Since this was getting us nowhere, I asked one of the clerks nearby for NIGHT OF THE COMET. "What kind of movie is that?" he asked. "I don't know - Sci-Fi, horror, maybe comedy. It's hard to classify," I reply.

He looks in SciFi, looks in Horror, and I tell him that it's a new release today. "Oh," he replies and proceeds over to the new release section. It's useless to tell these people that I already looked in these places, so I didn't. I just let him continue.

After another minute or so, he headed for the computer to look it up. A minute or so goes by and another of his compatriots comes by and asks if I need help. So I go through the same thing with him, telling him also that another clerk is at the computer looking it up. He looks in SciFi, Horror and New Releases and is as puzzled as the other guy.

Finally the first one reappears with the disc. "It was in Comedy", he revealed.

I looked at the back and it didn't say "anamorphic" or "Enhanced for widescreen TVs" on it, but since it was only $12.99 and I had a $5 off coupon, I decided to gamble with the $8.47 including tax that it was anamorphic. Even if it wasn't, it would likely be a better copy than my aging taped-from-HBO VHS copy.

I got it home, ripped through the myriad sticky stickers on all three open sides (!) and placed it in the DVD player. Satisfied that it was anamorphic, I put it aside for another day to watch it.

Bottom line - at Best buy it's a "comedy", and the disc is anamorphic.

Harry

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The disc is 16:9 enhanced and has tiny little black bars indicating that it is 1.85:1 rather than being slightly opened up to the full 16:9 ratio like many releases these days.

Regards,

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My brain always puts "things from space" at least partly in the sci-fi section. But youre right, it's really a horror movie. Just like Ray Bradbury is primarily a fantasy writer not a sci-fi writer. It freaked me out when I read that comment from him.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
It was in the comedy section at Best Buy? I went to Best Buy near work, DVD Planet, Best Buy, and Circuit City near home looking for Night of the Comet and Private School and didn't find either at any of the stores I had stopped at. I just assumed that Night of the Comet would be in the Sci-Fi section although I looked for it in the Comedy section at the Best Buy near home. DVD Planet told me they got in 3 copies of each movie I was looking for but they had sold them all by they time I got there last night around 7:30. I guess I'll have to order them online or try the local stores again in the future.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
According to Best Buy's web site, they have copies in stock at their Rancho Cucamonga and Montclair stores, but not at Mira Loma, Chino Hills, Riverside, or San Bernadino. Does that help?

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks