What's new

Night of the Comet (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I could only wish for this to come out someday. Don't care who has the rights, I just wish Anchor Bay or Blue Underground would get the rights and release it. One of my all time favorites.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
>>>My guess is that Paramount aquired the title through Viacom's purchase of the CBS library. Where did this MGM theory come from?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

OK, it's just that Night Of The Comet had a different VHS distributor than those other 2 films, so I assumed they weren't part of the same distribution deal. Plus, the fact that it aired on Cable with a brand new Paramount logo made me think otherwise. Neither of the other 2 films you mentioned have a brand new Paramount logo on them. But MGM does seem to control all of the Atlantic films (although NOTC appears to be the only one released on video through CBS/FOX), so you're probably right.

Jeff

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
>>>OK, it's just that Night Of The Comet had a different VHS distributor than those other 2 films, so I assumed they weren't part of the same distribution deal.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, long ago Atlantic Releasing made lots of piecemeal rights deals; TV here, video there, etc.

Atlantic made a long-term deal with Vestron for video on VALLEY GIRL and some other titles, and then did a TV deal with Viacom (pre-Paramount merger) for those same movies.

NIGHT OF THE COMET was part of a small package they sold to CBS/Fox, along with ROADHOUSE 66, ALPHABET CITY, and a few others.

Atlantic made a BIG deal with Paramount in the late '80's-early '90's though, that involved video and TV for new titles, and TV for titles that had been licensed for video elsewhere. And it would appear that deal was for perpetuity, if TV broadacasts of COMET are featuring new Paramount logos.

Regardless though, any and all video rights to the former Atlantic library are held by MGM.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Finally, a definitive answer! Thanks for clearing that up. Now it all makes sense. Although I am still confused about VALLEY GIRL.

The film at one point in the late-90's was controlled by Polygram. Did MGM inherit these with the Polygram purchase or was this by some other means?

Jeff

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, MGM got the entire Atlantic library through the Polygram purchase. Polygram previously got the library from an earlier merger between Atlantic and Island Pictures, which had been an offshoot of Polygram's Island Records company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks