NIGHT GALLERY Seasons 2 and 3: Any News????

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Claude North, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Has anyone heard anything yet about the second and third seasons of Night Gallery? Universal has already released the second season of Columbo, and I'm worried that the lack of news about Night Gallery means that we won't be seeing the rest of the series.

2. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

unfortunately,no news.
    i'm worried too because i don't think S1 sold very well- with the combination of being priced as it was + all the negativity with the eps not being remastered.

i'm still holding out hope that S2 will come out around Halloween, but i'm not holding my breath.

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Well, I hate to say it, but I think raising hell about the episodes not being remastered to standards of absolute perfection may have totally backfired in a big way if Night Gallery is going to join "Baretta" in the ranks of Universal series permanently stuck at Season 1.

Goodness knows I want to see the best possible quality episodes out there, but the situation of "Night Gallery" was not comparable to the situations where outrage was called for with syndicated cuts and music replacement ruining the presentations. For most of us, this was our first chance to just see the episodes restored back to their original length and original broadcast context and that was what should have stood out more.

4. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    I'm still cautiously optimistic--after all, Fox took a long time to consider releasing the second season of Mary Tyler Moore after poor sales of the first season. Who knows, maybe Universal is waiting until a Halloween-themed time to release the second season.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

I was thinking the same thing. The complaining got to be ridiculous and over the top. If the product was released and was garbage, that's one thing. But complaining about something unseen does nobody any favors.

Steve

6. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

I'm afraid the same situation may have permanently removed the 80's "The Twilight Zone" from being released. In that case according to producer Alan Brennert the episodes were mastered from the original video masters as "TZ" was one of the first shows edited on video (although it was shot on film)with effects and post production being done on video as well. That's too bad as the second and third seasons (done by different production companies I might add) had some real gems among them.

"Night Gallery" didn't look great but it didn't look as bad as some series that have been transferred to DVD. I also believe that complaints about the lack of extras hurt this release as well. Then again, Universal has a nasty habit of just dumping stuff on the market without much regard to the consumer. It's pretty sad as both "Night Gallery" and "The Twiight Zone" (80's version) both have cult followings that would make both profitable given the right circumstances. I was really looking forward to NG's "Pickman's Model" and "Cool Air" two of my favs.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Wayne, I got good news for you. Image has officially announced Seasons Two and Three of The Twilight Zone remake series for June 28.

8. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

Travis, thanks for the update! Great news now if we could only get Universal to cough up some dates for "Night Gallery"...

9. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I don't anticipate any problems with the rest of "Night Gallery" coming out. I think they will stick with the existing transfers that you've seen on VHS as well as on Mystery Channel. The quality was good enough for me though. I would like to have seen some bonus features is all. It may not be on a consistent release schedule, but I have faith that the popularity of Serling will see to it that the rest of the series is released.

The only Universal title I'm worried about is "American Dreams"...

10. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I was pleased with the quality of the first season. I felt that the uproar was a bit much. After all, it's not as if they released the butchered syndicated versions and tried to pass them off as complete and uncut.

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I too was mystified by all the negative comments. I've got the entire series (minus one elusive episode) digitally recorded from The Mystery Channel, so I didn't buy the season 1 set, but I did rent disc 1 from Netflix and compared the episodes with my recordings.... not a lot of difference, but the DVD was certainly acceptable (and frankly, way better than I was expecting). I think folks are getting WAY too critical... not every film and TV series is going to get HD transfers and Lowry-level restorations.

12. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The objections that were spearheaded by the author of the definitive book on the series (Scott Skelton I think his name is), centered on the fact that the episodes have been remastered to a higher quality since then, and that supposedly this included restoration of a couple transitional music cues in some of the episodes tied to the "Four In One" framework the series was under in the first season, and that Universal just went back to the early 90s remastering done for the VHS releases through Columbia House and the Mystery Channel airings, rather than utilize the newer versions. I think that was the greater complaint than the lack of extras.

13. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    If season two comes out I would expect it in August, and Universal hasn't officially announced anything for that month yet. When the time comes, if NG isn't announced for August, then I'd start fretting.

14. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Eric, is this information verified, or merely a rumor? Why on earth would the series would be "remastered to a higher quality" for no apparent reason? The syndication package is pretty great already, with the original hourlong format restored and a pretty decent image to boot. I highly doubt that further remastering was done and then left unused for the DVD release.

15. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

16. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I was under the impression that the entire series wasn't re-remastered, but that a demo was made to show how much better it would look if it were re-remastered, and the execs at Universal chose to release the remastered version and not pay for re-remastered versions.

17. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Yeah, that's how I interpret it too. Looks like the 90's remastering is as good as it gets... and that's okay with me. [​IMG] Again, the series looks great on Mystery, and even a touch better on DVD.

Scott: I checked my recording of "House" for this insidious crackling on the soundtrack, expecting the worst, and discovered that it's barely audible! And as for the missing music cues... well, I sure would've never noticed, since I never saw the episodes during their original broadcast run. Is it possible that these cues were ADDED during the original (i.e. butchered) syndication run? They did all sorts of goofy stuff to the show (added footage, etc) back then, so maybe additional music was added, then rightly subtracted during the 90's restoration/remastering... Just a thought.

18. Wayne Klein

Wayne Klein Agent

It's unlikely Universal is going to go back and remaster "Night Gallery" based on what I've read. The picture quality is pretty good overall (although there was some natural fading of the negative and they could stand to be restored in a couple of cases but, again, that ain't likely to happen).

I would like to see the entire run released to DVD in their original uncut, unsyndicated state (which is how I originaly saw them)but also would like to see some extras in the way of commentary from directors/producers/writers. I understand that Carol Serling has quite a bit of tapes that her husband recorded for his classes when viewing the old "Twilight Zone" and "Night Gallery" episodes (some of these tapes were used for the recently remastered/reissued Image Entertainment volume one set). Although Universal would have to license this stuff, I would think it wouldn't be all that expensive (although Carol Serling might want ownership of some part of the DVD set and that might turn off Universal).

Certainly a behind-the-scenes featurette on the man that painted most of the artwork would be worthwhile. It would also be interesting to see a featurette on the conflict that existed between Serling and Jack Laird over production of the show (although that probably won't happen).

The first set was nicely designed and the inclusion of other episodes from later seasons were nice extras that really didn't cost Universal all that much to put on. Perhaps they could do a similar type of extra including both the original version and the syndicated version of various episodes just for comparison's sake.

Hey, I'll be happy to just get ahold of the other seasons. This is, of course, all wishful thinking.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I'm not sure why people are missing the complete facts on these old masters, however these are the uncut original versions with a few audio problems. I have finally seen the DVD transfers and while I'm sure they could look much better (I would love to see the side by side comparisons the transfer department made for the studio exec's) they are, to my eyes, far from un-watchable in their current state.

20. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Thank you Kevin. This is EXACTLY my point. The flaws in the existing syndication prints and DVDs are extremely minor.