What's new

Night Gallery on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Just saw this announced for Nov. 23. Looks like a nice discount if you offer it from Kino Lorber's site:

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just saw this announced for Nov. 23. Looks like a nice discount if you offer it from Kino Lorber's site:

This Rod Serling platform was in the spirit of TTZ, but had the addition of color, during the days where "In Color" was equilient to "SHD" is today!! and the always inemitable Mr Serling giving his audience the offerings of the night. And the amazing artworks as well!! I truly hope that this release is givin some digital love and care. This was ans is one of my favorite series from that time period.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
BEAVER.

No confirmation if this completely restores Night Gallery to "original broadcast state". Skelton and Benson complained about the previous release dropping the midbumpers and original Four-in-One intro IIRC.

Capt Cheese Pro

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This Rod Serling platform was in the spirit of TTZ, but had the addition of color, during the days where "In Color" was equilient to "SHD" is today!! and the always inemitable Mr Serling giving his audience the offerings of the night. And the amazing artworks as well!! I truly hope that this release is givin some digital love and care. This was ans is one of my favorite series from that time period.
Agreed, I've always been a big fan of Serling and this incarnation of his visions of bringing good stories and writers and actors together for a supearlitive exrecise in storytelling. the fans are watching, and hoping for better than the DVD versions. Many of which were washed out and too dark!!

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I understand they are working on s2 and s3 for at least next year. I wonder (but doubt) if they will include the Sixth Sense episodes with Serling's intro as a bonus disc(s) or could that series be considered with the NG syndicate intros

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm not as big on NIGHT GALLERY as I am THE TWILIGHT ZONE. To me, NIGHT GALLERY has always had that "Universal on NBC" look about it. I can't explain it, but some of you might get what I mean.

I've got the three seasons on DVD and have been largely OK with those, so I'm not sure I need an upgrade to Blu-ray. I just don't watch these often enough to warrant the double dip. Perhaps if someday the full series is out and selling at a great price I'll be tempted, but for now, just this Season One, which doesn't have very many episodes because of the "wheel" format, doesn't see like a good value.

But I am encouraged that the series is being offered on Blu-ray. Hopefully it will continue through S2 and S3.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad
I'm not as big on NIGHT GALLERY as I am THE TWILIGHT ZONE. To me, NIGHT GALLERY has always had that "Universal on NBC" look about it. I can't explain it, but some of you might get what I mean.

I've got the three seasons on DVD and have been largely OK with those, so I'm not sure I need an upgrade to Blu-ray. I just don't watch these often enough to warrant the double dip. Perhaps if someday the full series is out and selling at a great price I'll be tempted, but for now, just this Season One, which doesn't have very many episodes because of the "wheel" format, doesn't see like a good value.

But I am encouraged that the series is being offered on Blu-ray. Hopefully it will continue through S2 and S3.

I can't quite decide on this one either. There is only one story from the series that I recall as a kid growing up and it freaked me out at the time. It was apply titled "Fear of Spiders". I may have to at least get season 2 to revisit that one.

Richard Kaufman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
The flat TV Universal style lighting is a problem for this series, as well as the color. I read somewhere that removing the color raised the impact of the series, and that is completely true.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I understand they are working on s2 and s3 for at least next year. I wonder (but doubt) if they will include the Sixth Sense episodes with Serling's intro as a bonus disc(s) or could that series be considered with the NG syndicate intros
"Fake season 4" should be a bonus feature on season 3 along with the lost episode (this time with Satisfaction Guaranteed instead of Witches' Feast). The total amount of intros Rod filmed amounts to just about an hour.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I will skip buying Season 1 due to the small number of episodes. But Seasons 2 and 3 are a must buy for me and have all of my favorite episodes.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
BEAVER.

No confirmation if this completely restores Night Gallery to "original broadcast state". Skelton and Benson complained about the previous release dropping the midbumpers and original Four-in-One intro IIRC.

Having seen the masters for season 1, I can tell you that the Blu-rays essentially mirror the DVDs in terms of format (meaning no bumpers or Four-in-One intros... I mean, unless something dramatically changed in the last few months, but I'd be surprised as hell). In terms of image quality, they look spectacular. Even if there were no bonus features, this would still be a no-brainer upgrade situation.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It has been sometime since I last visited Season 1 of Night Gallery but viewing those screen captures (which look pretty awesome) really brought back a flood of memories. Both in terms of the episodes and the array of actors and actresses cast in season one. Really looking forward to this release.

- Walter.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Season One was the only season of Night Gallery Rod appears to have had control over (he wrote all but the first show) so the quality is generally a lot better than the later Jack Laird run ones.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Having seen the masters for season 1, I can tell you that the Blu-rays essentially mirror the DVDs in terms of format (meaning no bumpers or Four-in-One intros... I mean, unless something dramatically changed in the last few months, but I'd be surprised as hell). In terms of image quality, they look spectacular. Even if there were no bonus features, this would still be a no-brainer upgrade situation.

Guess that intro is physically lost. I've only heard the sound of it on one of those old Night Galler websites. Still got time time to fix Witches Feast though.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
To pad out NIGHT GALLERY for syndication, Universal added another series called SIXTH SENSE with Gary Collins. They added Rods intros with paintings and then chopped each hour episode down to fit a 30 minute slot. This rendered the stories as choppy, muddied, and nearly incomprehensible.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Can someone explain or provide a reference to the meaning of "Fake Season 4"?
Fake Season 4 (aka "Oh its one of those Gary Collins ones again...") is simply that. Episodes of another show, The Sixth Sense, choppily reedited to pad out Night Gallery's syndication package (which was already heavilly massacred as is). They are easily identifiable by having the Season 2 title sequence with the Season 3 title font over it, and the outro of a appostrate face over a red sky background (taken from Sixth Sense and with its credits unaltered!). Ironically not every FS4 has Gary Collins starring due to some of Universal's extreme editing cutting him out!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
So basically, you think Night Gallery speaks for itself on DVD/Blu, even without bonuses?
In terms of image quality, the Blu-ray represents a significant improvement over the DVD. For fans of the show, that alone should merit an upgrade. The supplements are just icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks