"Night Flight" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChuckDeLa, Nov 27, 2002.

1. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

Who else remembers this ultra-awesome late night show on USA Network? 4 hours of great movies, shorts, music videos, and assorted oddities. It's the kind of thing that would never be aired today, and will probably (due to rights issues) never be seen again.
    More importantly, anyone got episodes on tape I can have copies of? [​IMG]

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I used to love watching Night Flight in the early '90s. Aside from the animated shorts, one other aspect of the show that appealed to me was the exposure to unfamiliar ( to me ) music acts. For instance, I first heard of the group Lush on Night Flight. Haven't listened to any of their recent albums but I definitely enjoyed the CDs Gala and Spooky. Just thinking about their music again makes me wonder what they've been up to in all of these intervening years.
    Sorry, no tapes.
    - Walter.

3. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

If I have anything, I don't have much... I think I have an hour of Paul McCartney videos, a half-hour on the Travelling Wilburys and a half-hour salute to ROCKY HORROR.

I was too young to really appreciate the stuff that Night Flight put together, and I rarely watched the movies (though I remember they often showed ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN, JEKYLL & HYDE...TOGETHER AGAIN, and FANTASTIC PLANET). I distinctly remember the slightly bawdy comedies imported from England, ASSAULTED NUTS (featuring Wayne "Newman" Knight of all people!) and the KENNY EVERETT VIDEO SHOW... (would like to see those again) They also aired, years before an "official" video release, The Beatles' MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR.

In the early 90s, a year or so after USA Up All Night supplanted Night Flight, there was a two-hour syndicated version that was interesting but not as cool as the full-blown cable version. I did tape a few bits of shorts and stuff from that version.

BTW, Walter, there's a Lush "greatest hits" CD out... heard it playing in a record store recently. Catchy and relaxing melodies. Remembered how much I enjoyed them back in college.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I actually still have some of Night Flight on tape (though they are probably disintegrating). I taped the Genesis Live 1976 and Pink Floyd videos episode. I also have the episode that goes between J-Men Forever and Devo videos. My only complaint is the hostess sometimes talked over the audio when coming up to a commercial break, so she ruined "Entangled" by Genesis for me.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

J-Men Forever has just been released on DVD. Watch for my review

6. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I have a few Night Flight episodes on tape, too. I think one is a interview with Bryan Ferry with Roxy Music videos and another with Brian Eno

7. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Geeze-us-aitch... I remember Night Flight all too well. A show that was weird, wild, mysterious, and one step beyond consciousness. OK, I might be talking out of my ass, but this show blew my 12-year-old mind in the early 80s when I had just discovered dope, music, poetry and alienation... Living in suburban/redneck Florida, too young to drive and no friends in walking distance, Night Flight was a revelation. I salute thee, and your wacky if haunting animated shorts!

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I think I have two or three tapes of Night Flight, loved that show. I haven't looked at them in awhile but I think I have shows saluting the psychedelic 60's (videos, film trailers of the time, news shows and such) - the punk scene - electronic music - Alice Cooper 1986 Halloween concert on Mtv - the 1980's "current" music video revolution - I think I have an episode on cartoons that were censored (Son of a B...B..B..Son of a B...B...B...Son of a B..B..B.. Gun! Hee hee you thought I was going to say Son of a Bitch didn't you...) and lot's of other stuff..however they are choppy because my mom would grab my tapes when she wanted to tape her soaps and I would catch her after about two min or so, hated that.
    If you want to trade some tapes just drop me an E-mail or a PM.

9. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I just mentioned Night Flight in another thread a couple of weeks ago. I was mentioning how the one NF episode I have (Cult Classics was the theme) had Pink Floyd's Pompeii version of "Echoes" playing over Georges Melies' "Trip to the Moon" from 1902. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I think it blows Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz out of the water, personally.

I'd love it if Night Flight were syndicated somewhere if USA has no use for it. I like strange and unusual tv.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

All I remember was the visuals of the Night Flight logo, and that they showed the uncensored versions of racy music videos. Guess I hadn't discovered anything else at the time.

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    J-MEN forever seems to be out of stock at every e-tailer. Guess the sold out quick! I ordered mine from a amazon marketplace seller. Hopefully It will arrive next week!

A TRANSISTOR, MISTER! CAN YOU DIG IT?? AHAHAHAHAHHA!

12. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I loved it because they used to play a lot of Kate Bush. My husband and I are huge Kate fans and when she came to New York to promote her 1985 album Hounds of Love we went to NY to meet her. We did, a few times (at the airport, at a Tower record signing and outside a radio appearance...no, honest, we weren't stalking her!) but almost as cool was being invited to the Night Flight studios and being in the control room while she was being interviewed by an airhead. We couldn't see into the room where she was being interviewed, but we could watch on the monitors. We had to stifle what threatened to be screams of laughter as the woefully ill-prepared interviewer made a fool of herself in front of one of the most intelligent and influential women in music.
    It got edited WAY down for the final broadcast (here's the unedited transcript) and it was fascinating to see how the process works.
    NF was a great show. We don't have any entire shows, we just edited down (VHS to VHS) the bits that we wanted.

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I would KILL to get a copy of the George A. Romero parody "Dawn of the Night of the Dead" from Night Flight which I had recorded on an SLP tape that vanished into the ether at my parents house. I remember them being the only ones who would show the Ramones video for "Psycho Therapy" with the head bursting out of the guy's face.

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer