What's new

Broadcast TV Night Court: TNG (NBC) (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
DEAD:

Harry Anderson
Paula Kelly
Selma Diamond
Charles Robinson
Markie Post
Florence Halop

ALIVE:

Karen Austin
John Larroquette
Richard Moll
Ellen Foley
Marsha Warfield

...yeah not many left to come back.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Night Court will premiere on NBC on January 24, 2023.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/magnum-pi-night-court-nbc-midseason-schedule-1235165888/

1667877642696.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This will actually be premiering tomorrow, Tuesday, Jan 17, at 8PM on NBC (originally reported as 1/24 last fall).

I think my DVR is set to record for an hour. Not sure if it's a special extended premiere episode, or if they're showing two episodes.

I'm finding the promos pretty funny.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
...yeah not many left to come back.
From what I understand, the only two original cast members who received an offer for this continuation were John Larroquette and Richard Moll. Larroquette agreed to reprise his role as Dan Fielding after a personal appeal from Melissa Rauch. Moll declined to reprise his role as Bull. I don't think Karen Austin, Ellen Foley, and Marsha Warfield were even contacted by the production.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Night Court. It may be the best thing on television right now. The characters are likable, the viewers are familiar with the setting and environment. Rausch seems to be good as Harry's daughter, but if Laroquette wasn't there, the show might fail. They also mentioned that Abby is engaged, so we have that development in the future.

There'a a great deal of potential here. Part of me would love to see cameos of previous guess stars on the show, especially Brint Spiner reprising his role as Bob Wheeler. It would be great see the Wheeler's again.

Have to admit I'm curious to know who will be Abby's mother? Could it possibly be the late Markie Post, who won't be appearing? Or on the off chance, did Harry go back and marry Karen Austin's or Ellen Folly's character? I'd be disappointed if the writers chose NONE of them.

Right now, television needs to be comfort food, and this is as close as it may come right.

Any other opinions? I guess nostalgia is influencing my decision.

--jthree

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought it was pretty good. Agree that Larroquette is the best part of the first episodes. He's still pretty sharp for 75. Lacretta has promise as Gurgs the bailiff.

Loved "the Estelle Getty museum" :laugh:

Have to admit I'm curious to know who will be Abby's mother?

According to Wikipedia, it's no one from the prior show/cast:

Her mother is Gina, played by Murphy Brown alum Faith Ford.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty good. Agree that Larroquette is the best part of the first episodes. He's still pretty sharp for 75. Lacretta has promise as Gurgs the bailiff.

Loved "the Estelle Getty museum" :laugh:

According to Wikipedia, it's no one from the prior show/cast:

Her mother is Gina, played by Murphy Brown alum Faith Ford.
Well, that's disappointing. I really was hoping it would have been one of the three ladies, they hinted romance with Harry all those years ago. Hmm. have to rethink my support of the show now.

==jthree

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The first episode was...well, the performances were fine, but the writing just wasn't working for either my wife or I. But we agreed that pilots can often be like that as they don't have all the kinks worked out yet. Second episode was a lot better, with everyone seeming to have their rhythm. Larroquette is definitely the alpha here; Rauch seemed to have a better handle on Abby. "Gurgs" is working for me -- though it's hard not to compare her to Roz. Olivia (the prosecutor) and Neil aren't quite working for me yet, but hopefully they'll improve.

One specific comment and a question:

I hope there's a tape released somewhere with the audition for the lizard-phobe guy. He was a scream, and I'd love to see him coming up with the hiss & snarl!

It's been so long since I've seen any episodes of the original, so I can't remember: was that portrait on the office wall of the German Shepard in a judge's robe a prop from Harry's office in the original? It had that feel to it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's been so long since I've seen any episodes of the original, so I can't remember: was that portrait on the office wall of the German Shepard in a judge's robe a prop from Harry's office in the original? It had that feel to it.
I think it's meant to have that "feel", being her father's daughter, but I think Harry had a different picture. Is that Marilyn Monroe?

1674014222779.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Deadline reporting this was NBC's biggest comedy debut since the Will & Grace revival back in 2017. Around 7 million viewers per episode watching live.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm still enjoying this. I find myself laughing out loud quite often.

Loved last week's charge of "D&D D&D": Drunk and disorderly while playing Dungeons & Dragons. :laugh:

This week it was a handsy defendant trying to hit on Dan, and a funny guest appearance by Wendie Malick.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
It's weird seeing Rauch without her Bernadette voice.

Maybe it's me but after seeing the first couple episodes, I'm not really feeling it for this show. Maybe if more of the surviving original cast were there I'd feel differently.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've watched all four broadcast episodes. The laugh track has liked it a lot more than I have. Just not working for me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm still enjoying this. I find myself laughing out loud quite often.

Loved last week's charge of "D&D D&D": Drunk and disorderly while playing Dungeons & Dragons. :laugh:

This week it was a handsy defendant trying to hit on Dan, and a funny guest appearance by Wendie Malick.

It was especially weird seeing Wendie Malick. While killing time until NC came on, my wife and I watched a syndicated rerun of Young Sheldon, with Malick in one of the final scenes.

It's weird seeing Rauch without her Bernadette voice.

I'd "experienced" her without the Bernadette voice in a couple of episodes of True Blood.

Maybe it's me but after seeing the first couple episodes, I'm not really feeling it for this show. Maybe if more of the surviving original cast were there I'd feel differently.

The first and third episodes didn't work for me, but the second and this one definitely did. I've no idea if they might be showing episodes out of order, as it does seem a bit haphazard. I suspect it's a case of them trying to get their sea legs while they work out the flow of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks