What's new

Night at the Opera DVD-A in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
When? I see on U.S. listings that the release date is January 15th. I have called around town and have not heard anything. No-one even has it listed in their computers here. Does anyone have an idea when it will be released here?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, I live in the US, but my understanding is that new music titles are often released at least one week later in Canada than in the US. Maybe this doesn't happen with popular CDs (I have no idea), but I know it has happened with other DVD-Audio titles. Maybe the Queen disc in question will be released in Canada on January 22nd. Of course, it remains to be seen if the disc will be released in the US on the 15th. It's release has already been postponed once. :frowning:

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a review of the new Night At The Opera dvda.
I will definitely take this with a grain of salt. They give the album only 3.5 stars! I therefore think that it is quite possible the rest of the review is off.

Even if the review is "on" about the surround mix and the excessive "noise reduction", I am quite hopeful that the 96kHz/24-bit 2-channel version will be much better than anything I currently own.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Rob, for some reason certain DVD-A's do get delayed here in Canada unlike CD's and DVD-V's which usually have the same release date. I'm not sure why. I've been looking for this title as well but I haven't found it yet.

Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

I came to the same conclusion upon reading the above-referenced online review. Maybe the surround-sound mix of A Night at the Opera is so-so, but I am hopeful that the 24/96 stereo track will best my MFSL and DCC gold CD versions. I listen to DVD-Audio in stereo most of the time anyway.

Patrick,

Don't expect to see A Night at the Opera on DVD-Audio until at least the 15th.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
BTW, A Night At The Opera was recently released in Japan as a 24 bit remaster( EMI/Toshiba) in a jewel case (not mini-lp form).

I've listened to it and it does seem less distorted than the Hollywood cd version. Its a bit cleaner and more open sounding than current versions.

You can order it or the rest of the Queen catalog at RedTrumpet.com. Look for the EMI/Toshiba label, release date was late November 2001.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the info. If the DVD-Audio version is as good as it should be, I will never have to buy another CD version of A Night at the Opera again, however. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks