Night and Day

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Morgan, Jun 3, 2004.

1. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    Let me preface this by saying I know Warners can't provide the kind of restoration and subsequent expense on every color film they have in their library, but I must say I am very disappointed with NIGHT AND DAY in the Cary Grant collection.

I am no reviewer, so I will give my impressions and suppositions.

1. I think this is from an old transfer made from 50's Eastmancolor elements.

2. The soundtrack has a wobble throughout, as do many Warner films that were transferred to safety film in the fifties. (check out chapter 16, I think), when Porter is playing the piano.

3. In the main titles, the Technicolor credit seems added with a different color and background. I am sure this is where the color credit goes, but I bet the color credit was removed when they made black and white prints and put back in for subsequent color releases.

The color has no "snap" as Technicolor should have.

So my guess is this is the same transfer used for the old laser disc. It's not that it is terrible, but Warners has set the bar so high, I was expecting a bit more, but knowing the film is not highly regarded, maybe we are lucky to get it at all.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    All of Warner's pre- August '48 films were part of the Associated Artists Productions catalog until United Artists picked up the company in the 1960's. UA then merged with MGM in the early 1980's. Now, the Warner films are back at Warner.

So, it's possible that some films were not preserved best. As far as I know, very few Technicolor films from this group of Warner movies are on DVD. The Adventures of Robin Hood, 11 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies, and Rope (DVD and restoration by Universal). Warner simply didn't make a lot of Technicolor features, so it's likely that AAP or UA just didn't take the time to preserve the others very well.

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I have the laserdisc, and there the soundtrack is fine, it doesn't have that warbling sound.

4. John Morgan

John
    I have it on very good authority that Warners has the three-strip negatives to their technicolor films. I am confident if enough money and time was spent, NIGHT AND DAY could have looked as good as ROBIN HOOD or MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. But I also understand spending $100,000 on a film that appeals to a niche market is not good business sense.

And I got out the laser and it does have that warbling sound, but not as bad as other Warner titles. You hear it most on bell and piano sounds.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I must say I am very disapointed in the transfer of NIGHT AND DAY. Its actually one of the worst transfers I've seen in a long time.
    There seems to be no restoration at all. The color is very dull and faded. What happened?

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The film is not one of the better biographical musicals. Porter hated it. With the "De-Lovely!" coming out, WB probably decided to release the DVD to take advantage of it. The new film even has a brief glimpse of "Night And Day" in one scene I am told.

7. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Sorry to hear this, hope two Errol Flynn Technicolour movies : Dodge City (1939) and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939)are better when they come out. All the prints of the latter I've seen suffer quite a bit from mis-registration, you know that blurry picture that occurs with misaligned prints. I hope these are restored before they feature in the proposed Flynn collection.

8. John Morgan

John
    >

I also think DIVE BOMBER is one of the titles, although it didn't look bad on laser, I am sure a new transfer from 3-strip elements would be superb.

Also, I hope they found new elements for THE SEA HAWK, as it was really dupey and dark in the earlier video releases.

And I am a bit disheartened that CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE is not in the Flynn set. I think it is one of his best with a terrific Steiner score. Maybe it will be on an upcoming 2nd set with Adventures of Don Juan.

9. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

John,
    Where did you hear about the set list from the Flynn dvd box set?

10. John Morgan

John
    >

From someone at Warners. It was awhile ago so things can change, but last I heard the set would include:
    CAPTAIN BLOOD
    THE SEA HAWK
    DODGE CITY
    DIVE BOMBER
    ELIZABETH AND ESSEX
    THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON

Also, I think it will be early next year for release.

11. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Thanks John,
    I didn't read anything about this.
    Every single title in this collection is a must have. But I thought the Flynn promotion would be larger than this.
    At least 10 titles. It's a shame CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE isn't included. One of Flynn's best. And I also read that it would be out in by the end of the year. I can't hardly wait.

12. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Yes great titles there, pity it might not be this year which I was also expecting : I suppose it gives you more time to save up ! I agree that Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) is a strange exclusion though and Adventures of Don Juan being slightly later than the others (1949) would possibly require less restoration though age I know is no real guide to that. I only know that every time I've seen that one its looked pretty good with colours very vibrant popping out of the screen.

TCM in the UK have been running a fairly dreadful print of The Sea Hawk with numerous sound drop-outs. It will be great to get that classic in a really good print and transfer.

13. BarryM

BarryM Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps...if "Night And Day" was in any way as good as a MOVIE at "Robin Hood" or "Around The World in 80 Days", there would've been more reason to further restore.

But, as a Cary Grant fan, I can honestly say that "Night And Day" is one of the worst and most stupid movies Grant was ever involved with. This stinker makes "Once Upon A Time" seem like a classic!

I'm happy to have "Night And Day", but jeez, whatabuncha craparoo.

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House is also a bit ropey don't you think? Quite a lot of dirt and marks compared to recent Warners vintage releases.

Or am I being a tad harsh? If this had been an Image or MGM release I'd probably be saying what a superb job they'd done.

---
    So many films, so little time...