What's new

Nigerian scammers! (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I recently sold my Anthem AVM 20. While I was pleased with how it turned out, I was astounded at the amount of phishing I was subjected to by Nigerian scammers, most of which seemed to come from my ad in the Recycler. I ignored most of them, but I did tell some of them how sick I was of it all. This kind of nonsense never used to happen. Logic (who sends double the asking price to a stranger?) and Internet savvy should tell anyone not to pay attention to these people.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

Are you saying the "Enlarge your free gold watch from Nigeria with quality pills now!" emails I've been getting are not for real? I am shocked. :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About a year ago I had someone from overseas send me a $6000 money order to cover the first months rent plus security deposit on my property that was advertised at $750 / month. I played along with the guy to waste as much of his time and effort as possible.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I told one guy to send me the $4000 he offered....and I would keep all of it :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
This happened to me when I listed my pool table on Craigslist last year. Scammers were crawling out of the woodwork.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am amazed how many people are still getting scammed by these Nigerian scammers. :rolleyes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They seem to have the best network of hardware/internet access/manpower for such schemes.

I was cracking up when recent 20/20 segment stung a bunch of these scammers face-to-face. They are quick to capitulate when you have them red-handed, but I don't buy their apologies and promises to never do it again.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Because the originate from there. They sit in internet cafes and go fishing. They have even written songs about how stupid people are to fall for their scams.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Patrick, was this a 20/20 investigation from last month? I'm looking for it on abc.com and I think I've found it...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
That was a fascinating report. It's insane that they even turned it into a music video.

Some internet inheritance scammers (my guess is not from Nigeria) gave the phone number of The Howard Stern Show as their number. For a while they were getting calls from people who had sent money and didn't hear anything back. They once put one of these people on the air, and it was very sad - it was an old lady who lost 25,000, iirc.

E

Eric Kahn

Turns out that I have yet another dead rich relative in Nigeria that I have never heard about, got an email from a "lawyer" in Nigeria about my inheritance

I have had about 5 of my multi-millionaire relatives die in Nigeria in the last year :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Eric,

I am so sorry to hear your most regrettable loss. You must be sad feeling. As a fellow internet poster with your name ( are we related?) I feel I want to inform I have family conections with the Nigerian Office of Probatable Estates (NOPE). The Nigerian government has drastically changed estate proceedures which tied-up most estates resulting in a de-facto money grab of the assets by the Nigerian government.
Those in the know (like my family) can get estates finished but it takes time and usually only after paying some miner costs. Since my family works in the NOPE department I would be glad to offer you their asistence in settleing these 5 estates. It would require only a small amount to cover their costs but you soon will be relieved of your financial troubles and more able to concentrate on the greiving and healing procedure for your lost loved ones... :)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I feel for you. Every time I go to property court those damn miners are always hanging about in gangs, trying to intimidate people with their pick-axes and trained attack-budgies in cages; and do they have to shine the torches on their hard-hats right in my eyes? Sneaky, coal dust-covered, bastards!

Adam

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
that was the only error you could find in my Nigerian post? I was trying so hard to capture the essence of 419.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Which is one reason why I avoid it :). I was told Craig's List was the best place to sell stuff and find room mates and such. I was so surprised by the amount of idiots on there that I'm amazed anyone would go looking for anything there..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks