Nifty wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave F, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Linksys has a new wireless adapter, the WGA11B, which they are marketing towards the gamer market. It functions similar to the wet11 bridge, but this is driverless, yet still supports WEP. (If you use wep, you need to initially hook it up to a wired network, & run a utility which stores the settings on the adapter)

I just picked one up for a ReplayTV unit, and it works pretty slick. The box says that even without a WAP, you could use two of them to function like a crossover cable. So... you could buy 2 and hook them up to consoles like a system link.

-Dave

2. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

Dave, how much was it? Where did you buy it?

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

its $80 at best buy

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Very much like the WET 11 except the digital dispay and the cost. This is closer to what something like this should cost, the WET 11 is way overpriced. This would sure blend in with my Xbox better than a WET 11 too.

6. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

See... it's about time. I have the router, as I wanted wireless access for my laptop in the house. But I haven't been able to justify the cost of the WET11 for the XBox. So this is very very cool.

Now I just hafta figure out a way to tell the missus about this. [​IMG] "Hey honey! I can get the XBOX online cheaper than I could have before!" *stoney glare* "Isn't that GREAT?" *stoney glare*

[​IMG]

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Evil Avatar has a link to a Cnet article that mentions a 802.11g version for $129. (I can't get to the article though).

-Dave

9. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

I have a question about this Linksys product...I read somewhere that you can buy two of them & hook one up to your exisitng router (since my current one is not wireless) and hook a second one up to your Xbox & thus play on LIVE like that.

Has anyone tried that or knows if that could work? I don't want to go buy 2 of them & then it not work that way.

10. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

The buy.com link above has an answer for that in the product description.

Sean

11. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

12. Trevor Harveaux

Trevor Harveaux Stunt Coordinator

Hey! I bought one of those a while ago at Best Buy for my xbox. Works great. Took me a little bit to get it working, my own fault though, I'm using a Mac and an Airport and really had no clue to what I was doing.

13. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

Can you hook one of these up to a hub and the other to your xbox so that you don't have to fool with setting up a network. The nyko net extender works this way.

14. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

D-Link has had these out for a while. They have the 810+ for B networks and the DWL-G810 for G networks. I think the 810+ is around $50.

15. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Since I am a network dummy I had a question.
    My computer & xbox are close together. Do they make like a "Y" connector (similar to a phone line splitter) that I could plug into my cable modem, then plug my computer and xbox cables into that?

16. Bill MacAdoo

Bill MacAdoo Stunt Coordinator

Technically, you could use a plain old hub for that. But, you wouldn't be able to have both the Xbox and the Computer online at the same time.

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

BrianS... as far as I'm aware, you can't do that. I run a Linksys wireless network in my house. The WGA11b is designed to get a console hooked into a network. OR to hook two XBoxs together. But I don't think you can use two in the manner you describe. (I could be wrong though...)

Just buy a BEFW11S4 router. It isn't that much more money, and will give you a fully functional wireless network. Then get your WGA11b, and off you go. [​IMG]

18. Joe Spratley

Joe Spratley Stunt Coordinator

The hub may work depending on your ISP. I have a 4 port switch installed. One port goes to the computer and the other to the xbox. Comcast assigns a different IP Address for each. I believe they give you up to 4. If your ISP only gives you one IP address then I believe you need a router.

19. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Brian-

You really, really, really should get a router. Even if you didn't have an Xbox. A router (NAT based with firewall) is an essential security precaution for your PC when hooked up to broadband. As a side benefit, hooking up the Xbox will be very simple.

Since your computer and Xbox are near each other, you could just get a regular wired router (BEFSR41) for around $40 and eliminate the higher costs associated with a wireless system.

-Dave

20. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Dave. Save yourself the hassle and just get a router. I would however buy a wireless one. Right now your XBox and PC may be close together. But what if you eventually move? You do not have to use the wireless feature on your router right now. You can still run a cable from your XBox to the router if you dont want to fuss with another wireless device. The wireless routers run from $30-$60. They are dirt cheap right now...unless you want wireless G. Those routers run around $100.