Nifty Mitsu Problem....Please Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Hayes, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Ive got a Mitsu WT46807. If there is a dark scene in a movie, tv show, and a light source goes thru the scene( for instance Fox Mulder walking thru a dark hallway with a flashlight), red blue green circles ring the light source. Also the flashlight will sometimes have red edge on one side and a blue edge on the other side. Also the edge of the screen will get a blue or red line in differant spots on it.
    This happens on all inputs. Mitsubishi has sent a repairman once already and he is coming here again this morning but no one has any idea what it coul be. The picture is fantastic otherwise.
    Anybody have a good idea as what the problem could be?
    ------------------
    The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Convergence is off.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

No, cheked that. The repairman was just here again but couldn't find the problem. He called mitsu and they cant figure it out either. He says the next step is to start to replace the computer boards inside the tv.
    Thanks for the input though.
    ------------------

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    HI Scott, how thick are the rings??? It does kind of sound like convergence to me too. Remember that views vary wildly from the "ok" - of a tech, to the ok by a HT enthusiast.
    FWIW,
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

5. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Well, I think I figured it out but I am a little disapointed. The repairman is friends with the salesman I bought the tv from. He suggested to take a few dvds over to the store and show them what was up and see what they knew about it. We played them on their sets, and all of the tv's did it. The salesman said something about white being a hard color to duplicate digitaly so sometimes it does not come out right on the screen. Seems like bull to me but I do have dvds that are perfect without any of this problem. ( plus the salesman is a friend I dont think he would lie ). I am afraid I will just have to live with it.
    Now I have a seperate problem the repairman pointed out to me that I had not noticed before. Along the edge of the screen I get a red green or blue line wich looks alot like the convergance grid showing thru. Sometimes whatever is along the edge of the screen will be outlined in red green or blue. Salesman and repairman agree that that is wrong and they are both trying to get Mitsu to come up with a solution. Convergance is perfect by the way.
    I am not sure about this white being hard to digitize story, but I have to admit the picture is fantastic otherwise. If any of you have the Exorcist on dvd look at the subway seen. On my tv the flourescant lights of the subway station are outlined with blue and the train headlights are outlined in red. Another example is the opening of the X-files (tv show). As the intro is going on Mulder is walking with a flashlight and there is a faint green red and blue circle surrounding the light. It happens briefly but if you slow it down you can see it. This happens on the dvd, cable or dss.
    I appreciate the feedback.
    ------------------

6. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I have a Mitsubishi WS-65907 and I've never seen this on my set. Unfortunately I don't have any of those particular DVDs to test it. I suggest posting this question over at the Mitsubishi section of the Home Theater Spot . Those people are simply amazing when it comes to Mitsubishi RPTVs!

7. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
  8. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

The outline is only on one side.
    ------------------

9. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
  10. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Gregg,
    The convergance cross hairs are not in the middle of the screen like they were when I bought the tv. I called the repairman and he said he noticed that too and is coming buy next week to recenter it. He says that is the problem with the edges of the screen. I wouldnt know Ive only had a rptv for a a few months now, but he sounded confidant about it. Does this make any sence?
    ------------------