Nielsen Rating System At Odds With RIAA's Claim Of "Lost Sales"

Discussion in 'Music' started by David Lawson, May 17, 2004.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    http://www.kensei-news.com/bizdev/pu...le_23374.shtml

"'The RIAA reports a sale as a unit SHIPPED to record stores. Whereas Soundscan reports units sold [to the consumer] at the point of purchase. So, you're talking about apples and oranges.'"

"There is only one logical integration of all these statistics with the recent Soundscan data: even though actual point-of-purchase sales are up by about 9% in the US - and the industry sold over 13,000,000 more units in 2004 (1st quarter) than in 2003 (1st quarter) - the Industry is still claiming a loss of 7% because RIAA members shipped 7% fewer records than in 2003."

[​IMG]

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    More evidence that (1) good numbers are hard to come by and (2) the RIAA will do anything except take responsibility with respect to lost consumer interest.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    RIAA is a terrorist organization.

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I am what the RIAA would call a criminal. I download full albums quite often! However...I am buying more CDs due to downloading albums before I buy! Downloading for me is like a test ground to see if I like the album or not, and if it has enough good songs to warrant my purchase. If I like what I hear, I then buy the CD because I like having all the packaging, the real CD, all the extras, etc. [​IMG]

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Another related issue is record labels buying, say, 20,000 copies of a title to inflate sales figures and then returning them. Its my understanding that those returns don't count against sales.

Lee, what do you mean by "the RIAA will do anything except take responsibility with respect to lost consumer interest." If in Q1 2004 "actual point-of-purchase sales are up by about 9% in the US - and the industry sold over 13,000,000 more units in 2004 (1st quarter) than in 2003 (1st quarter)," one could argue that consumer interest in buying music has grown not decreased, no?

-p

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Paul, It's evident that the big 5 think the public owes them a certain number of purchases. That's the way I see it.

7. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

So lemme get this straight....if the RIAA is losing sales according to this definition, then where the hell are the thefts occuring, the distribution centers? [​IMG]

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, fewer CD's are going to the distribution centers because they still have a ton of CD's that the actual stores don't have any room for, because sales are down.

Hint - Guys, I think we pressed too many of this CD!

Answer - Or just priced it too high. Do you think that a whack upside their heads would help them to get a clue?

Glenn