What's new

Nielsen People dont Listen (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
As a teacher for 32 years, be careful with the home schooling. Each year we would get one or two children who had been home schooled and find that they were total social misfits. The rest of the students often regarded them as total weirdos who never were able to fit in with the rest. I spent a lot of time often trying to protect these children whose parents had tried to withdraw them from the real world they eventually had to become part of.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As a teacher for 32 years, be careful with the home schooling. Each year we would get one or two children who had been home schooled and find that they were total social misfits. The rest of the students often regarded them as total weirdos who never were able to fit in with the rest. I spent a lot of time often trying to protect these children whose parents had tried to withdraw them from the real world they eventually had to become part of.

(Going further offtopic).

Good point.

I was schooled for a period of time outside of the official school system, where I ended up weaseling out of having to attend most of high school. (I went to college relatively young).

After finishing university much earlier at a relatively young age, I found out the hard way I was maladjusted to life outside of the ivory tower. I probably resembled that Sheldon Cooper character in the CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" with similar inept social graces.

It took me many years to gradually figure out how to socially adjust to being a "normal" person outside of the ivory tower.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just finished my Nielson diary several months ago. (Still basically the same old paper diary from when I did it over 10 years ago.) I do watch a lot of TV and logged a lot of entries.

Now they are sending me another diary for the radio. Haha, I listen to about 30 seconds a day when my clock radio wakes me up to music. And I listen to the UH basketball postgame (I watch the game on TV or online.) And they are quite persistent -- a letter to tell me I've been chosen, a phone call to ask some questions, and a phone call to make sure the diary arrives. Reminds me of the census bureau.
The only time I get "radio" is with my clock radio alarm.

Ten years of skipping commercials on TV with the FF button. Easily 20 years of "no radio". When I'm driving, 100% CDs, the music of my choice, not some chatty radio hosts talking about the cupcakes their daughter made or some other worthless topic. I gave up long ago and listen to what I want to hear.

Even with "current" news, they're worthless. Weather report for last week.... 6-8 inches of snow on Sunday, 2-4 on Monday and again on Tuesday. So, so wrong. Got a total of 1/4 inch the entire time. Yet people are paid quite well to spew out worthless info.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
they only sent me $2 and nope they cant because I participated in their survey LOL just cuz it wasn't the answer they wanted doesn't entitle them to that $2 which i gave to my 7 yr old.
Jeez,that's the same as I got in the 70s , they need to raise their rates they charge CBS,NBC,ABC,HBO,FON,TBS, CNN, ...?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

That says more about the "normals" than it does about the home schooled, as far as I am concerned.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The one area of television that I think was totally decimated by the desire to generate revenue was television news. Once that became a show, as predicted by Paddy Chayefsky, well...television went right in the tank. The great tool it could have been to inform us became nothing more than a box to deliver propaganda and advertising. What could have been the great informer became the nonstop salesman living in your house.

I threw out our tvs because of all the oversexualized programming geared towards children.

Forgive me for asking, I don't have kids, but what programming are you referencing here? I barely watch television and what I do watch is not geared toward children so I likely have not been exposed to whatever you are talking about. Can you give some examples?

Last edited:
D

dragonwolf08

During the longest time period without a tv, it was largely due to laziness on my part.

During a wild party at my then-apartment, the tv screen ending up being kicked in by someone. I was too lazy to do anything about it, other than throwing the tv remains out the window and into the large trash bin.

Subsequently I lived without a tv for several years, even though I could easily afford to buy a new one. (The perp gave me several hundred $$$ compensation for kicking in the tv screen while really drunk).

so like i said it wasnt because you hated television and anything associated. or preferred being active in other ways.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In 4 yrs ive been to the theater 2 times and it wasnt because i wanted to go. So hulu and all those things are not things I use either. I despise programming, I despise ads, and movies are part of that as well. I only have ever really like 1 show my whole life. Star trek next generation. I have the whole series... still never watch it haha.

Not that we aren't happy to have you join the conversation, but I'm dying to know what brought you to the Home Theater Forum?!?!?! :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Many of the people I know who "home school" actually get together in groups and have parents teach particular classes that they're knowledgeable about. So the kids aren't actually that isolated. I'll let Joann speak about her particular situation though.

D

dragonwolf08

So as a teacher you must have "seen it all" hu? What about the kids that were not homeschooling that were relentlessly bullied?? You're not mentioning them and I know they were at your school too. My kids were all straight A (and continue to be) and were relentlessly bullied in school. I am really tired of the social norm that dictates a stranger is going to know what is best for my child more than me the mother. Norms are just as dangerous you know. So are expectations. I was never homeschooled. I never fit in either. I still don't. And I work from home and I am very successful at what I do. How dare you imply you know what is best. And you know nothing about my family. Maybe that is the tv addict, instant gratification talking on your part. Feeling all entitled and protected of what you're saying because you too are so used to that social norm. Or the comfort level you have gained as a teacher from the way teaching used to be viewed. Have you looked around lately? No one really likes the school system or teachers at this point. Over crowded classes, teachers texting and facebooking during class (I have seen that one with my own eyes by the way), principals allowing kids to get away with beating up other children with no consequence but my kid is terrified to stand up for themselves because they will get in trouble. (also seen that one with my own kids) My kids are much happier and thank me for what I am doing. We are a unit and we love what we do. It is not your place or anyone else's to tell me anything about my kids! At least I am a mom who takes charge of her creations instead of just sending them off to be a number in a system. Here is the kicker, most of my family are now or were teachers. At first they did not like my choice. Now they fully back me up. Why do you think that is? Because I am doing a better job with my kids and teaching them more than any teacher has. They are now at an advanced level where they are happy. And they are just thriving in general. Why don't you think about both sides before you speak?!

D

dragonwolf08

The one area of television that I think was totally decimated by the desire to generate revenue was television news. Once that became a show, as predicted by Paddy Chayefsky, well...television went right in the tank. The great tool it could have been to inform us became nothing more than a box to deliver propaganda and advertising. What could have been the great informer became the nonstop salesman living in your house.

Forgive me for asking, I don't have kids, but what programming are you referencing here? I barely watch television and what I do watch is not geared toward children so I likely have not been exposed to whatever you are talking about. Can you give some examples?

You could just look into it yourself. I don't remember any of the names of what they were. I know I got to a point I blocked Disney because of their kids shows that were not cartoons. They all dealt with kids dating, the clothes were trashy, the songs were trashy and all of it as a whole was geared in a direction that nothing to do with education. Not to mention when i was growing up most shows for kids were centered around famly. Now you either never see mom and dad depicted or you see mom or dad depicted as a buffoon that doesn't know anything. Then at commercial time you see all kinds of glitzy and trashy dolls, clothes etc. Everything is very provocative on tv period. And during the little kids shows you have commercials geared for mom that are completely inappropriate for children.

D

dragonwolf08

Many of the people I know who "home school" actually get together in groups and have parents teach particular classes that they're knowledgeable about. So the kids aren't actually that isolated. I'll let Joann speak about her particular situation though.

Our family has not stepped into the realm of doing group studies or joining any of the collectives in our city. This is our first year homeschooling; and it has been our preference not to join up as of yet. We would prefer to set our foundation and routine first before meeting other homeschoolers. Later this year, we will be joining a karate class, as a family, to get some added socialization time. We are interested in joining a church but have not found one as of yet. I teach English, reading, science, history, geography, German, handwriting, cursive, and phonics. My fiance teaches math. We both teach Bible.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THESE PERSONAL REMARKS BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN MEMBERS WILL STOP RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW!

This thread is thisclose to getting closed. After the opening criticism of the Nielsen Company, it has quickly degenerated into a catchall thread for non-stop complaints.

New members need to read our rules about civility to other members.

Here's a portion:

10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

And if there is any question about this, I would advise members to also read the section of the rules on how to properly deal with those questions.

D

dragonwolf08

THESE PERSONAL REMARKS BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN MEMBERS WILL STOP RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW!

This thread is thisclose to getting closed. After the opening criticism of the Nielsen Company, it has quickly degenerated into a catchall thread for non-stop complaints.

New members need to read our rules about civility to other members.

Here's a portion:

And if there is any question about this, I would advise members to also read the section of the rules on how to properly deal with those questions.

So it was ok for TJCP to openly imply my kids would be social misfits and that homeschooling is a mistake. But it is not ok for me to defend myself LOL. Right. Ok. Good day to all. Close the thread if you wish my original post was answered and I do not care. No member should be allowed to make me feel the way his comment did and then me in turn, I am made to feel worse for defending myself. Good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks