What's new

Nicole Kidman, Janitor (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just read a description of "The Human Stain" starring Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman and Gary Sinise. In an apparent move to go against type, Kidman plays a janitor. Anyone else find this really hard to see (nothing against Kidman's acting skills, the make-up department or janitors)?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
In an apparent move to go against type
And exactly what "type" would that be?
  • The tubercular temptress in Moulin Rouge?
  • The neurasthenic author in The Hours?
  • The Russian con artist in Birthday Girl?
  • The repressed English housewife in The Others?
  • The very unrepressed American housewife in Eyes Wide Shut?
  • The driven professional, with no time for romance, in The Peacemaker?
And I'm leaving out a bunch of others (like Dogville) simply because I haven't yet seen them.

If there's any major actress out there without even a hint of a recognizable "type", it's Kidman.

M.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Cameron,

You obviously don't know many janitors. Since I'm a person who's always around early and late, I run into a lot, and they've run the gammut from perky and funny to dull and odd. How she plays this role, not a traditional glamour role outside of "The Breakfast Club" will be interesting.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's true I have not known too many janitors, though I was one myself at one time. I stand corrected on the use of "type" to describe what I really meant as public perception (or personal, individual perception if I'm in the minority here). After learning more about the movie, Kidman as a janitor may be perfect in the sense the film seems to be about perceptions as Hopkins' character turns out to be a black man.

John Watson

Screenwriter
The correct term is "sanitary engineer", if I'm not mistaken.
If I am, pardon my redundancy. :D

PS I hate actors who can only play themselves, it seems to be oxymoronic to call them actors

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Read the novel ;). The character is supposed to be attractive.

For anyone interested in the film, read the novel. No doubt it will be hacked up (it's a huge story) and Roth's superb writing style will altogether be absent.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I don't anticipate having a problem seeing Nicole Kidman as a janitor. Her sex scenes with Anthony Hopkins, however, may be another matter... :)

Rob

Kenneth English

Second Unit
She's not what I imagined for the character in Roth's novel but Kidman is a great actress so I've no doubt she'll pull it off with style.

However, unless this is going to be a three or four hour movie I can't imagine how they'll do the book justice. We shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks