Nickle Creek

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chad Isaacs, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Anybody have their cd?I think it is called "This Side"

I have been hearing their "Smoothie Song" alot on a local "indie" radio station and am considering picking up the cd...if someone can tell me the rest of the songs are as good as the one,I am trying not to buy cds for just one song anymore as I have in the past.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I love it. There's only one instrumental track, though, if that's what you are in to. If you are a bluegrass purist who would be taken aback by things like a cover of a Pavement song, you might like their self-titled CD better. To me, it's just great acoustic music.

Pick up the SACD. It should be no more than a dollar more than the redbook CD (if that), and it is a hybrid.

Regards,

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have the SACD...it sounds great. If you like Smoothie Song, you will like the rest of the CD probably. I have yet to get the debut SACD, but that is on my short list.

4. Chris Elm

Chris Elm Stunt Coordinator

My dad owns both, and they are great, but be very weary of the SACD hybrids, as I believe they are pressed at the Crack (ahem, I mean Crest) plant.

P.S. I like the first album better.

5. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I like the first album better as well. I haven't heard the SACD versions. If you get a chance to see them live, don't pass it up.

6. Chris Elm

Funny you should mention that. I am planning on seeing them at on the bricks this Friday evening.
    All for 3 bucks!

7. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

I have their first disc. The instrumentation is superb, though the vocals have that airy 'Eric Johnson' quality that I don't care for too much. Fantastic playing. Amazing young musicians.

8. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Nickel Creek is one of the most awesome groups to come into music is some time. Not only with their ability for writing and playing, their harmony is some of the best ever in the business.

Both albums are wonderful and you should pick either one of them up. "The Lighthouses Tale" is also one of the better ballads to come out in over a decade. Song gives me chills with the vocals.

9. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Their first album has more instrumentals and their second is more "pop friendly." I got them both and can't think of a song that I dislike. What is amazing is that they are so good and so young. I was too busy skipping classes and chasing sorority girls when I was 21.[​IMG]

I discovered them while channel surfing one night. I passed by PBS and they were airing them on Austin City Limits. Chris Thile is impressive. And Sara Watkins is kinda cute.

Favs from "This Side"--
    Spit on a Stranger
    Speak
    This Side
    Green and Gray

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

A friend of mine pointed me to their direction around when the first album came out. Quite impressive for a bunch of younsters. I just picked up the latest on SACD and while I do prefer the first album, "This Side" has some good stuff going for it as well.

Jason

11. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

and they are just so dang nice. I saw them twice when they came through this way about a year or so ago (before This SIde was released). We talked to them all after the show and they were very down to Earth. Sarah and Chris were especially friendly and talked about everything from baseball to bozoukis to boogie boards. We got their autographs and I've had great respect for them ever since. Chris Thile's solo work is great also as is his work for Dolly Parton.

12. Chris Elm

Wade, my dad was propbably at those shows too. Are you planning on hitting them down at Centennial Olympic Park this Friday?
    BTW another thing that makes this such a joy to listen to is how well it was recoreded.

13. Chat C

Chat C Agent

Great band! You won't be disapointed with "This Side" or the first CD.

They put on quite an amazing show. I first saw them on the CMA awards last year and by chance found out they were playing in Cincinnati the following week. On a whim I took my partner to go see them and we were totally blown away. One of the best live shows I've seen. I recently heard Sean Watkin's newest solo CD "26 Miles"- and while not bluegrass by any means, it has an fresh acoustic sound to it and it hasn't left the CD player in my car for over a week. I can't wait to see them live again!!!

14. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Thanks guys,sorry it took so long to get back,but I forgot I posted this...Im getting scatterbrained in my old age of almost 28,

I will certainly pick this up and look for the sacd as well!

15. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

I've been seeing this SACD at Best Buy and considered buying it. Thanks to the good vibes in this thread, reading HTF is going to cost me another 15 bucks. [​IMG]