nice stable motherboards?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_Y_F, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

I've decided to start a thread about computer motherboards because a motherboard had caused a year of my computer experience to be miserable and the fact that I'm buying new computer. In that miserable year I couldn't play any Windows games that are advanced (Any game that uses 3D acceleration/ DirectX/ OpenGL). After roughly 10 min of playing the computer screen would flicker and then the game would be gone, the windows desktop back at the screen as if nothing had happened. I could bear it at first (This was 3 years ago) and was mostly playing DOS emulator games anyway. But then time passed and new games started coming out that I really seriously wanted. In my attempts to fix the problem I formatted the hard drive/ updated the latest video drivers with latest DirectX/ installed windows 98 and tried to modify the BIOS/ replaced the video card/ but with no results. I gave up and handed it to the computer store, the guy said the motherboard was faulty. IT WAS ALL THE MOTHERBOARD'S FAULT!

Now I'm buying a new computer and don't want to fall into the trap again.

What are the most reliable and most stable motherboards out there for the Athlon XP 2000?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Check out Tom's Hardware Guid and AnandTech for motherboard reviews. They're great sites.
    Although I've no experience with the Athlon CPUs, I've always been happy with Tyan, Abit and Asus motherboards. SuperMicro is also a good company, but I haven't used them personally.

3. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I'll second Don's advice. Although I've only used Pentiums on them, I've found Asus, Tyan and Abit to be very good. Supermicro make good boards but their website and technical support is not as good as the other major manufacturers.

4. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

What do u guys think about the gigabyte boards?

thx for the feedback

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I've heard excellent things about the Gigabyte P3 Tualatin board but not much else. Abit is another company that I would have no problem buying from. I've had good luck with 2 Asus boards and 2 Tyan boards but I'm an Intel CPU guy so that may not be of much help.

6. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i have a gigabyte 7dxr. It has never given me problems and is pretty stable. I bought this because at the time it was the best for overclocking. But my water cooler project didn't materialize. And the addition of all this home theater equipment makes my room HOT. 31 degrees in fact and i live in Canada.

7. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

orite, wat about MSI? A good brand?

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

MSI's KT266a board (forget the model right now) has benchmarked significantly slower than competing KT266A boards in several reviews. I believe there were quality control issues at the begining but I assume those are a non-issue at this point.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Please note that you will find people with bad experiences on all of the above mobo makers. But the important thing to note is: what is the common thread?
    Via chipsets
    People who think they have mobo or AMD problems really have Via chipset problems. That's what plagues my Abit KT7-R (a much loved mobo in the tweaker community that had its share of probs, it used a KT133 Via chipset). I have quite a few friends who build their own and most of who have problems can trace it to Via chipsets.
    I've built my girlfriend and my father computers with Intel's new 850MVL with P4 and RDRAM because I didn't want it to fail and have to troubleshoot. Months later, and both systems are up and running with no problems. When I upgrade my PC later this month or next, it will be with an Intel mobo.
    Just my experience.

12. Tim_Y_F

Tim_Y_F Agent

"Please note that you will find people with bad experiences on all of the above mobo makers."

Good piont

Checked Buzz Vinards website and the latest MSI KT266A did have problems, mainly on stablility so I definitely not buying that one.

I think the Asus A7V266-E, the MSI K7 master(AMD 761 chipset), Gigabyte GA-7DXR, the Abit KR7A-RAID, and the Abit KG7 are my prime tickets.

the cheapest mobo of these is the Gigabyte, which I would probably buy. Second in line is the Abit KG7.

Anyone disagree with wat I've chosen?

Anoither thing. There are 2 primary chipsets I've seen, they are the AMD 761 and the VIA KT266A. They're are decent chipsets, aren't they? Or does one of those chipsets suit me better?

13. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

keep in mind that the AMD 761 northbridge is almost always paired with a VIA southbridge. If you must have an ALL AMD chipset, and with Athlon XP support, you must get one of those Tyan dual proc boards.
    As for the KT266A, the Soyo Dragon+ and the latest Soltek boards have COMPLETE stability if combined with the latest drivers. (while running benchmarks)
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboa...126/index.html
    however, most KT266A boards seem to run better with only two DDR dimms installed. not a big sacrifice for the level of performance, IMHO.

14. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I tend to agree with Buzz...I looked a lot at what to put my AMD1700+XP chip on and it came down to:
    Soyo Dragon+
    Asus A7V-K266-E
    I went with the ASUS, from Newegg.com for about $161.00 last month.
    I've had really good luck with this MoBo, seeing how this is only the 2nd computer I've ever built. I didn't get Windows XP, still running W2K with SP2 (+ all updates) and it seems fine. GeForce 2- card works good in there (the pure 64M Vid. flavor)
    ARStechnia and anandtech have done extensive threads about the VIA chipset problems....but, there's still disagreement.
    The ASUS did everything I wanted, and seemed like a Major MoBo maker that would be there for support if I needed it.
    (Their website is a bit cryptic for bios updates...but...)
    My .02
    ~Rob

15. Frank - frbie

Frank - frbie Auditioning

Hello,

since about 2 weeks I have a Soyo Dragon Plus. I'm very happy with it because it runs stable and I can use the internal soundchip for SP/DIF digital out. It passes DD and dts so I don' need an additional soundcard.

Installation was very easy and everything worked out of the box.

FYI, I use a XP1900+

Best Regards

Frank

16. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Frank! i was wondering about the usability of that digital output on the Dragon+.

17. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Carlos,
    I have had some bad experiences with VIA based boards as well. My Abit VT6X4 Slot 1 PIII motherboard was a nightmare to own and configure. I had sooo much grief with my Geoforce 2 GTS when I got it back in Sept 2000 (It was like owning a Ferrari and not ever getting the keys). I could never get it to work right.
    When I built my current computer in November I stayed away from Abit (I will never buy from them again) and took a chance with EPoX. My 8KHA+ has run like a dream from day 1. It still has a VIA chipset (KT266A) but it is VERY stable. So stable I kinda miss diagnosing the occaisonal problem [​IMG].
    Michael.