Nice new house..no good for HT?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Shawn C, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Ok, my wife and I are buying a new house, which is a totally awesome house, but it's a little awkward in it's room shapes. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere that I can setup a decent HT. Here are some pics to show my dillema. (Furniture in pics is from current owner...)

Approx. layout of living room:
    [​IMG]

Pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

Approx. layout of basement:
    [​IMG]

Pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

1 more basement pic for reference:
    [​IMG]

My biggest problem is where to put all of my stuff. I have a 55" Mits. widescreen and a pair of Klipsch RF-7's that need to find room, along with all my components, etc. The TV is pretty big and the speakers are definately not SMALL. I just don't know where to put anything.

There are some places where the TV can work by itself, but with the addition of the RF-7's, I can't see anywhere that they can all live together.

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Hi Shawn.

Here's my take:

Given your room limitations I'd recommend the following, but it will require you to invest in some new equipment.

First, look at getting a front projector to replace your Mits...which then can be placed down in your basement. You could custom build a gorgeous crown soffit that ran the length of your living room that also hid your electronic screen that would come down infront of your fireplace! [​IMG]

Your center channel can be acoustically built into the soffit as well and you could place your klipsch speakers on either side of the fireplace.

That's just one quick option...there is always something that can be done to custom shaped rooms...it just takes a little time and thought.

Perhaps if those walls that house those shelves can be "moved" or the basement could be remodeled a bit, you could do something down there as well....thought I'd need to see more angles and pictures of your room.

Feel free to contact me via email if you wanna chat more...or just ask away and I'll see if I can help.

I love rooms like yours because they make the challenge of getting a theater in there that much more exciting! [​IMG]

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, I was thinking of the screen in front of the fireplace idea with a projector hanging from the ceiling. I just don't know ANYTHING about front projector units and don't want to make a mistake buying something not "worthy". I REALLY like the picture on my Mits, especially in HD. I would probably have to go to a custom HT installer to get one installed correctly.

Can I expect the same picture quality with a front projector unit that doesn't cost a fortune?

This setup would be strictly for home theater and music use. No TV watching in here. That is handled here:

[​IMG]

Yet another odd shaped room. Actually, this room would have been nice, if not for the built-in bookcases. Those HAVE to stay. Acoustically, it might not have been the greatest. The whole side of the room is open to the kitchen.

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

What about an automatic pull down in front of the Mitsubishi?

5. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

You can get a pretty decent projector for $2k or so (Sanyo Z2, Panasonic L500U/AE500). For a little more you can get the Sony HS20. There is no comparison between the level of immersion provided by a FP vs. a RPTV.

Then, do what I did and move your Mitsubishi into your bedroom. I don't even need to wear my contacts to see the picture! [​IMG]