Nice bonus on Fleetwood Mac

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan_Horner, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

There's a nice little bonus on the Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A:
    If you listen to the 5.1 mix of "Never Going Back Again" (Track 3), you'll hear a slightly extended version which includes a guitar solo by Lindsey Buckingham and a bit by Mick Fleetwood. As a note in the photo area explains, these two elements were originally intended to be included in the song's mix but were taken out before the final version. The original version of the song (which is approximately 15 seconds shorter) can be heard on the 2-channel stereo mix.
    This is something of an "easter egg," since I didn't see a mention of the separate 5.1 mix anywhere else. Of course, the DVD-A also reinstates the song "Silver Springs" -- struck from the original Rumours because of vinyl sonic limitations for albums over a certain length -- but that's duly noted on the track listing.
    And if you haven't heard it already, this DVD-A is simply incredible! I've been listening to it pretty steadily since I got my new player, and it still continues to amaze me. Rumours was a great choice to release as the first Fleetwood Mac DVD-A, but it sure makes me wish they'd get around to some of the group's other titles... [​IMG]

2. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I agree Alan with everything that you stated in your post.
    The current on the market regular CD doesn't do this fine album justice has Warner has never taken the time out to remaster the classic release. By putting it out on DVD-Audio, it has given me a better view of the album and I can understand what all the fuss was about in 1977.
    I really do hope that Warner follows this up with other Fleetwood Release. I would love to have the great hits album updated and released in this format.
    It would also be nice if Atlantic/Reprise would release some of Stevie's wonderful solo efforts. My mind can only imagine the beauty of "Beauty and the The Best" in this format.

3. Alan_Horner

In addition to the different mix for "Never Going Back Again" mentioned above, the advanced resolution 5.1 mix on Rumours also contains a slightly different mix for "Second Hand News." Instead of the fade-out heard on the original album, the 5.1 mix gives the song a definite ending (which is a little surprising if you're used to the fade-out). The two-channel advanced resolution mix maintains the original fade-out ending.
    Cool! It looks like Ken Calliat, an original co-producer of Rumours, took the opportunity while working on the new 5.1 mix to "restore" original ideas and goals for some of the songs. It makes great sense to me, especially since the original mixes are preserved in the two-channel mix.
    Now I'm anxious to see what else I can discover in the 5.1 mix!
    [Edited last by Alan_Horner on November 08, 2001 at 01:05 PM]

4. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

The mix on 'Never Going Back Again' is incredible. What a great song to just sit back and be in middle of all the instruments.
    They wrote about Mick's snare and how it can't be heard on the 2-channel original mix. While walking across my room I passed the center channel and stopped dead in my tracks because of hearing the snare drum. I just stood there for a few moments listening to something I never heard before.
    This is an album you can continually listen to and just pick up on new passages. It is very good.

5. Alan_Horner

6. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

No, I was listening to the six channel mix.
    I was simply making the point, that they were able to put things on the six channel mix, that was not previously on the two channel mix.