What's new

Nice article on some highly touted subs. (1 Viewer)

DanWiggins

Second Unit
The sub itself is really free... It's the piece of duct tape over the pole vent that costs $28,000...:)

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
$28,000 for a Krell sub that go's to 20hz

OR

$900 for a SVS sub that go's to 16hz and $27,100 for a car to drive it home with.

Your choice of course.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I suspect it is not an apples to apples comparison. There is more to it than numbers.

Also, if I were to buy a $28,000 sub, I do not think I'd be driving a cheap $27,000 car. :)

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I think a pair of 10' tall Tumult line arrays with a bunch of 1000w amps would do better for less then $28,000.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Garrett,

A single 12" driver in a ported enclosure is not going to have the output capabilities of dual 15" drivers. At least not in this case. Granted, I wouldn't spend $28K on a sub (I wouldn't spend $4K-$5K either), but SVS' are not necessarily the answer to every "what subwoofer to buy" question.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Maybe not Brian, but I could be just as satisfied with a B4+ as I could with any of those mobile home priced subs!

I'd be willing to bet that if I had 3 or 4 thousand dollars to float your way you would build me something that would rival any of those also. Of course, before I could give you $4,000, my wife would force me to spend $24,000 on something for her, so either way it's the same amount of money. :D :D :D

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, why on earth would Krell cover the pole piece vent with that piece of tape? :confused:

And quite honestly, I think my Bluerpint 1803 woofer looks better than those Krell woofers :wink:

Bob Brick

Grip
I just have to answer Kevin C Brown's question: "if I already have a sub that goes flat to 21 Hz, it's down -6 dB at 20 Hz (measured in my own room, not manufacturer numbers), is that good enough?"

NO NO NO Kevin. Your home theater audience will storm out of the room in disgust, never to return. Nobody will be impressed by a 115db blast at ONLY 21 hz. It MUST be 20hz. Everyone will know you can't go flat to 20 and it will be so embarassing. Please upgrade immediately before the Subwoofer Authorities show up to confiscate your substandard (pun not intended) equipment.

Please people, let us try to not fall victim to the dreaded FTTD (Flat To Twenty Disease). There is nothing magic about 20 hz. I know, because I have FBTD (Flat Below Twenty Disease), and I have the cracked concrete foundation to prove it. But now, if you will excuse me, I'll continue my search for the elusive 1 hertz sub.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
And quite honestly, I think my Bluerpint 1803 woofer looks better than those Krell woofers
Well actually they do look like the BP 1503 without the tape of course.:)
I'm surprised that no one "picking on" the Rel sub,which claims 9hz extension.Of course we know better then that,but it's amazing that these subs[Rel] gets a ton of favorable reviews from mags[and some users too],but not once I've seen any objective[measured] data on them.For 9k you can get an extremelly good HT speaker pckg including a sub,that will kick the Rel's ass back to "accross the pond".;)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Uh oh. Someone forgot to keep the door to the DIY forum locked. Start a thread like this and us DIY sub people are attracted like moths to a light.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I cant say "I can see the light" but I sure can feel and hear the light. I'm bibassual you see. I do both>>>>>>>>>>> 1-DIY/3-SVS's... ;) :eek:

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Rel can't do 9Hz, two 10 inch drivers? maybe it can do 9Hz at 60dB...

And I agree in that a good DIY sub will sound as good as any of these beasts, the only thing I envy (but I have using some RTA software with a calibrated mic and a laptop) is the automatic correction on some of them.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have experienced the Krell at a local establishment and the beast easily out classed my SVS Dual Ultra combo.

But, at what price? ;)

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
This is just a nitpicking session from me.:D I'm surprised that they even mentioned the Aerial SW12 and Martin logan subwoofers in this arena.In the DIY realm, the Aerial subwoofer gets picked on quite a bit.:)

Lets talk of the Wilson Watchdog.Its basically a ported enclosure(27 1/2"H x 27 1/2"D x 18"W) with a single 12" driver with good excursion.The SVS Ultra driver should have greater clean output.The Wilson XS is also ported in a 8 foot enclosure with two 7" ports.Its underported.For Christ sake, why would Wilson restrict port size for such a massive design? Perhaps they don't know how to build proper cost-no-object subwoofers.:D Mind you, both the Watchdog and the XS are old subwoofers.They have been in the commercial market for over three years.So that retails for $18k(without crossover or amplification).Figure another $4k for the crossover, and an additional $3-4K for amplification.Only adds up to around $22-25k.Cheap.:rolleyes

A member from AVS built the Black Holes that will tear it apart.Better braced enclosure(3" Baltic birch), much bigger ports(10") and far greater linear excursion.The XS apparently can achieve 112db down to 16hz.Thats nothing special.The Krell, as some have mentioned before, is a 120 L sealed enclosure with duel 15" TC-Sounds(not even the top driver!) drivers with a massive 2.6 kilowatt Krell reference power amp.Nice enclosure though.Super clean power makes no difference to very low frequencies anyway, so its nothing other than a marketing gimmick.The amp by itself probably costs about $20k.The enclosure costs around $3-4k to build in alumimum, and the drivers used to cost around $500 each.Just imagine the amount of power compression that the Krell would give off in such an enclosure.Relatively small sealed enclosure with massive power has serious consequences.

A 6ft sonutube with duel tempest drivers, with duel 6" ports should outgun the Krell quite handily.That 120db figure at 20hz is also meaningless.They don't tell you how the measurements were done.Even IF by some miracle the Krell could even approach 120db down to 20hz, its still going to have a ton of distortion at this output level.Retail offerings, the Contrabass, will also destroy the Krell for around $5k.There is also the more powerful B-DEAP 32.As far as I'm concerned the Krell MRS is the biggest, most overhyped piece of equipment on the planet.And the absolute best solution of all, is an IB.Put a couple Tempest or Stryke AV15 drivers in a manafold, and you'll outperform pretty much everything.Sound quality, and output will come on top.

Thank you!:D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The sub itself is really free... It's the piece of duct tape over the pole vent that costs $28,000...
Dan Dan Dan....

That is not a piece of simple Duct Tape(Tm)....

What that is, is an Aperiodic Vent made from a revolutionary
"Memory Metal" woven from strands of fabric designed from
the findings of the Roswell UFO Crash and Cover Up....

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks