What's new

NHT VT-3 Questions (1 Viewer)

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I'm intrigued by the VT-3 system and had a few questions:

1) Do you need a sub with the system or will the internal subs hit THX levels in a 2500 square foot room? If you use a separate sub, how do you set the processor to route only the LFE to separate sub?

2) At what height have you mounted the surrounds?

3) Can the switch from music to video be done with the remote and if so is it hard buttoned or toggled with one button?

4) Will this system overpower a 2500 cubic foot room - physically and sonically? A local dealer told me you needed a minimum of a 20 x 30 foot room for the system to work. Of course, he only had 2.4s :) My room is 16 x 18 with 10 foot cathedral ceilings.

5) I would describe the old music series as rather "upfront", and the old super series as rather "laidback". Where does the VT-3 fall?

Thanks for any insight.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Tony, I am a huge NHT fan but I can't really help you with specifics regarding the VT-3 setup. I know a little about the system but I think it may be a little overpriced. Alternatively, have you thought about the new NHT Revolution series setups? They seem more versitle IMO. Your room seems better suited to these (the larger T6 series). Have you checked them out as well? What is really cool about this setup is you can use the subs the T6 bookshelf speakers sit on OR you can use the seperate subs (using stands for the T6 alternatively). I just think this system would give you much more flexiblity in setup.

I would say the music series is upfront and the super series are more laid back (using the silk dome tweeters). I use the VT2 and VT1.2 speakers myself. I wouldn't describe either the super series or the VT series as laid back. Smooth, yes, acurate, yes.

Check out the link..

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_15942.htm

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Charles. What got me thinking about the VT-3 system is a massive 50% off closeout deal at Audio-Video Logic in Iowa. They evidently bought out the last remaining bunch and are selling the system for $4500. I've got a pair of HSU TN1220HO subs, so bass is not a problem and I am a believer in sub sat systems, but I had read some very good things about the VT-3, particularly with music, and therefore was considering giving them a shot.

One thing is for sure: trying to unload these puppies if they didn't work out would probably be a problem. Big speakers are not easy to sell (or ship), for sure.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Tony, since you have the subs, do you really need the VT-3 mains? Now that you mentioned it, I have heard EXCELLENT things about the VR-3, which are the rear sat speakers used in the VT-3 system. You could just get a set of those (4, 5 or 6 for whatever setup you have 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) and a center VC-3. Of course after reading the review linked via the nhthifi.com site, the VT-3 towers do sound fantastic. Getting them for half price puts them in a much better price/performance category. Any speaker that blows away the NHT 3.3 must be pretty doggone good.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Charles. I currently have a great sub/sat (M&K 150THX)setup which is quite excellent. I rarely sit still, though, in speakers. Always looking for a different flavor and in search of the "holy grail":), as they say, although I prefer accuracy over "warm", "bright", "full", you get the picture. My room is somewhat tough, in that there are no floor coverings. I have a cat that loves to pee on rugs of any kind, so the floor is oak hardwood. That's why I think the somewhat limited vertical dispersion of the M&Ks seem to blend so well in the room.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Just browsing the forums to see if Tony is getting adequate help :)

The 3.3s and VT3s are the only TWO NHT speakers to be handmade as a pair, with right and left drivers matched to +/- 0.3dB (0.5dB for the VT3s), as well as serviced in California by a team of three guys. ALL other NHT speakers go through the regular factory/assembly lines and drivers matched to normal +/- 2.0-3.0 dB (with left and right speakers NOT made as a pair).

A/V Logic will not sell VR3s separate, they are keeping them with the VT3 system. And at 50% off, why would you pass up the VT3s?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Charles,

How are those splendid VT2s sounding? Is 200 watts enough for your center :D

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys! I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger :). I've got 6 month interest-free financing lined up, but I've got to scope out how to mount those rears, as they are rather biguns. :).

Why do you think NHT pulled the plug on them so quickly?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
If you look at NHT the last few years, I don't think any of their decisions on which speaker lines to carry and not carry were clearly thought out, or longterm. Probably due to the Recoton influence; now, under Rockford, things should be different.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I talked with NHT tech support today. Re moving away from the VT-3 form factor, they basically said that big speakers were moving out of favor and they therefore were concentrating on the sat/sub type. The guy I spoke with seemed very happy that he was now working for Rockford. They see it as a very positive move, based on this gentleman's reaction.

JohnWA

Auditioning
If this is a home theater first, I'd do the VT3 fronts instead of the VR3's all away around. Yes you save some money but you loose out on two things. One, the rear firing drivers on the VT3's which does help movies somewhat and, two, you don't get the VT controller. The controller integrates or manages your low end very well and is great for tweaking movies.

Of course this does mean a couple of behemoth front speakers. :)

Anyway, my 2 cents.

John

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Ricky, I am very happy with my current setup. It has taken 5 years to get to this point but my system lacks very little IMO. I think 200 watts to the center works fine but not as well as the biamping of the VT2's with 400 watts per speaker. :emoji_thumbsup:

BTW, I am now running all my speakers as large (say NO to the sub option for the TA-E9000es and the DV-SP800 dvd player) mainly for DVD-Audio and SACD bass management issues. By running them all large, I have NO ISSUES.
:D I just use my sub to high pass the center and cross over at around 80hz. I don't have SVS bass but my bass response is pretty strong to about 25hz before dropping off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks