NHT vs. Energy

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rashad, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Rashad

Rashad Extra

I am considering either the NHT SB1 or the Energy C1 bookshelf speaker for mains. The only dealers for these speakers are over 100 miles away so I won't be able to audition them. I am considering them for the good reviews and the size and appearance because the WAF is very high. I have an NAD T743 receiver that will power them along with a Def Tech 8" sub. Right now I want to get the mains and will add the center and rears later on. Please let me know your thoughts as to which speaker sounds best between these 2 models. I'm leaning towards the NHT because I love the high gloss piano black finish.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

If you could talk yourself (wife) into spending just a bit more, than I would suggest going with the SB-2s. They will give you much more of a fuller sound, and really aren't that much bigger than the SB-1s. Go to NHT's website to check out the specs on the two. I don't know off the top of my head, but I've heard them both and you would be doing yourself a big favor by going with the 2s. Yes, they look cool with the black gloss finish, but they sound even better.

3. Rashad

Rashad Extra

Thanks. I will consider the SB2. Do you know know how it would compare with the Energy C1? I notice that the C1 is more efficient. I'm sure it will be ok with the NAD but one concern I have about the NHT is the sensitivity is 86db. The Energy is 92db. Will I still be ok with my receiver driving the NHT speakers?

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I agree on the SB2's. Rashad I think you could go either way and be happy. I haven't heard any Energy speakers for a long time, but I used to think they were great, I'm sure they haven't changed that much. My father in law has a complete NHT setup, SB2's as fronts, and SB1's as rears, with the matching center, and the NHT sub. Everything sounds great, but I'd replace the sub with an SVS.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've never really been impressed with any of Energy's lines, and I've heard them with some nice gear.

I agree with Jon, the SB-2 would be the way to go over the SB-1 for added extension. The SBs are sealed, which makes them a little less sensitive, so you will need plenty of power for them to sing. You didn't say which NAD, but even their lowest models put out plenty of clean power so I don't think it will be a problem at all, unless you have a large room. The SBs are on the bright side, so they should pair up well with NAD.

6. Rashad

Rashad Extra

John, the receiver model is the NAD T743

7. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Rashad, NHT and NAD is a magical combination.

If you can, I say get the SB3s as they actually have clean extension all the way down into the 40 HZ range, which is phenominal for a sealed bookshelf. You might not even ever need a sub for them!

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was going to recommend getting the SB-3s also, because i really like them, but they are a much bigger price jump from the SB-1s than the SB-2s.

9. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

That's true John, but that cost might could potentially be offset by not needing to buy a sub to go with them.

I'm very seriously considering getting a pair of 3s for my office rig to replace my current JBL S38IIs, which also have very good bass extension for a bookshelf model.