NHT VS B&W CDM 1nt?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy Gonzalez, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Jimmy Gonzalez

Jimmy Gonzalez Stunt Coordinator

My co-worker wanted me to ask the opinion of HTF on which are an all around better speaker.

B&W CDM1 NT's or NHT = priced speaker? I have CDM's and love them so I tend to be biased. I did like the NHT's I heard in the store. Which would you get on a $1,500 Budget for mains?

Jimmy

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I listened to the SB3, which is the highest bookshelf they currently seem to make, and I would not put it in the same class as the 1NT. Pricing, the SB3 is right around half the price of the 1NT at MSRP $600/pr. Both the SB2 ($400/pr) and SB3 are quite accurate and like a lot of power, image well and have very clear highs. I wasn't sure about the tweeters at first, because they seem a tiny bit bright, but overall I like them both.
    For the price though, the Paradigm Mini Monitor is a better speaker at nearly half the price of the SB3 at MSRP $350. The Monitor 5 is just a bit less than the SB3 and is a better speaker for the money. The only thing the Mini and 5 give up to the SB2 and SB3, IMO, is clarity in the midrange due to the fact that the NHTs are sealed and are noticably tighter in their mid to mid-bass.
    The NHTs are not too common and have some of the most atractive, well built enclosures I've ever seen.
    I ended up going with Mini Monitors, and I have no complaints.
    I love the 1NTs, but am not willing to pay MSRP for them. Even for a good price on Ebay, etc..., they are more that what I feel I need to spend that kind of money on, when I can be happy with the Mini Monitors. [​IMG]

3. Colin Chisholm

Colin Chisholm Auditioning

4. Jimmy Gonzalez

Yea that's the problem, no one seems to sell both B&W and NHT. We will Hit Laser Land and Century Stereo this weekend so he can listen to both.

I am not familiar with the NHT models so anything in that range will be fair to compare I guess.

All input will help.

Thanks,

Jimmy

5. John Garcia

John
    If at Laserland, compare the KEF Q series. EXCELLENT speakers. Right up the street on DeAnza is Bay Area Audio and Paradise Audio in the same shopping center as Century. I'm not all too fond of Century. NHT is actually located somewhere in the North Bay Area.

6. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I am in the same boat. I have always been an NHT fan. I have owned VT-2s and currently own 1.5s. I have a chance at some CDM-1NTs and a CDM-CNT for a good price. I do not know if I should even consider them because I cannot listen to them. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

7. Jimmy Gonzalez

Eric,

I have the CDM-1NTs and a CDM-CNT with 601's for the rears and I am VERY happy.

John,

Chris(co-worker) and I checked out Bay Area Audio(I got Def Techs from there a long time ago) Laser Land, and Century Stereo. NHT's do sound great for the price and Kef had a very good but unique sound. I was so tempted to get full ranged speakers for the same price as the CDM-1 NT's, so was Chris.

When it came down to it Chris felt just like I did. The CDM-1 nt's sound so rich, warm and airy and was easier to blend with a sub. Being that I use it more for movies 70/30 It just made more sense when I was shopping.

The guys a Laser Land and Bay Area Audio were GREAT and I wish they sold B&W's there. At Century Stereo I could not get help for 15-20 mins. The sells guys was watching the game and ignoring customers. To bad that was the only close B&W dealer.=(

All Chris needs now is a Sub.. I sent him the link to SVS. Hopefully he will like what he sees.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jimmy G.

8. John Garcia

John
    There's a better B&W dealer in Mountain View on El Camino, just before San Antonio Rd - San Francisco Stereo Much better sales people, IMO. I had been driving by this place for years, and one day noticed the B&W emblem out front, so I thought I'd stop in and demo some 1NTs [​IMG]

9. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Well, I went and listened to the CDMs today and I wasn't impressed until.... I got home and listened to my NHTs again. When I was at the store I was thinking that they didn't sound any better than my 1.5s and I was right to a certain extent. They sound so different. The NHT is so forward and precise compared to the B&W. The problem is now that I have heard the B&Ws I realized I like their sound better. The B&Ws are so rich and liquid sounding through the midrange, which is where I place my priority for listening. My problem is do I buy these CDMs and mate them with my NHT rears. I have a Lexicon system and run 7 speakers. I have NHT HDP-2 dipoles in the rear and NHT 6.3s in the ceiling for the sides. I wonder how cohesive this would be? Also I wonder how good the B&Ws center channel is for HT? I am concerned about output and dipersion from just that one driver. Any thoughts?

10. Jimmy Gonzalez

Thanks John for the info. I will keep them in mind when I upgrade to Nautilus.[​IMG]
    Jimmy

11. Jimmy Gonzalez

To be honest Eric, I hated the center I use to have with my 601's{cc6 I believe) and that was main reason I decided to upgrade. I wanted to go with NHT's when I was upgrading, my mind was fixed on them.
    After listening to movie after movie and cd after cd I was convinced that the CDM's would not have the same problem as the cc6. The CDMC is GREAT! The front stage is open unlike my cc6/601 set up. As for NHT's for the rear. They are very different sounding speakers. The good thing is that they are dipole so it might not be too big of a problem.
    I don't know if it will sound bad or good though[​IMG]
    Jimmy

12. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

OK, since I own seven B&W speakers between my HT and two-channel, I'll chime in.

NHT makes very good speakers. I, however, tend to group them with M&K in that they seem to be superior for HT, with music a secondary consideration. The NHTs I've listened to seemed very precise and detailed, very desirable for a HT. For music, however, these characteristics may not be as desirable.

When my friends ask for speaker advice I always ask how the speakers will be used (HT, music, half HT half music). I would recommend NHT or M&K to anyone who was planning on using the speakers primarily for HT.

If music plays a significant role, then I push B&W.

And I second the recommendation about SF Stereo in Mountain View. Avoid at all costs Century Stereo. Their attitude is they're doing you a favor just by acknowledging your presence.

13. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Mark that is exactly how my local B&W and M&K dealer does it, B&W for music>HT and M&K for HT>>>>>>Music (he really said that if you are going to listen to even just a little bit of music and are a critical listener, go with B&W.

I don't know about that opinion, since if a speaker is accurate especially for crital music listening, a more "musical speaker" B&W would even do a better job at HT. (imho), this tells me that the B&W is a better speaker, but if you want to still spend a decent amount of $$ and are willing to compramize, get the M&K, which should be "good enough" for HT. I don't get it? imho, It is much easlier to be a good HT speaker than a good "musical" speaker.

14. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Well guys, my CDM venture is over. The deal I was working didn't come through. I truly like the B&Ws alot and maybe someday will get some but my NHTs are no slouch. It is just a different sound. I really listen to alot of vocals so midrange is important to me. This is where the B&Ws shine. The warm smooth midrange is definitely a selling point to me. But they do lack in the top end compared to my NHTs. The dealer I went to and listened to the B&Ws also had JM Labs. We auditioned a pair of Cobalts against the B&Ws. I didn't really consider this an option because of the deal I had working on the B&Ws with my friend, but these were the best of both worlds. They had the lush smooth midrange on the B&Ws with the airy top end of the NHTs. If I could actually spend that kind of money right now I would opt for the JM Labs. By the way, the deal I had on the B&Ws was $900 on the CDM-1s and a CDM-CNT new in the box. This was at an auction from a bankrupt dealer. $900 is all I could muster at this point. They sold for around $1300 for all 3. Still a great deal but just out of my league.

15. Jimmy Gonzalez

16. Jimmy Gonzalez

Sorry your deal fell through Eric. NHT's are great never the less. I think of what Joe Pesci said in LW4. You don't love one over the other, you love them deferent. Or something to that effect[​IMG]
    Jimmy

17. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

A friend asked for a recommendation today for speakers to be used solely for music - no home theater usage at all. I have a set of NHT 1.5s, which I use as fronts for my main home theater, and a set of B&W 303s, which I use as fronts/rears for my bedroom setup.

If you were recommending a set of B&Ws for stereo usage, which model would you recommend?

Thanks,

Lisa

18. Jimmy Gonzalez

Depends on the budget. The 600 series is great for the price(I think it's $500 to $600 for a pair of 601's.) The CDM line is even better. $1,200 retail is the entry lvl for the CDM's.
    Then there is the Nautilus 800 Series. They are Uber!
    I would go with the CDM's personally. Price vs Value is great on them.
    www.bwspeakers.com
    Jimmy

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Nht's are a great buy currently since they are liquidating their current line-up for the newer (imho inferior) SB series and VT series. I wish I could of sprang for it but my local dealer just cleared his last two mint demo 3.3 for $1800 + tax in gloss black (he told be he cleared the 2.9 two weeks earlier at $1400). I ended up with 3 SuperZeroes for my computer setup at $75 a pop each and have recently picked-up the Northcreek mod to implement they in about two months (when I have time freed up).

My impression of Nht is that they are ruthless when hooked-up to bright gear or poor sources (about half what you see on TV) as siblance abounds on anything poorly miked. This is one thing that most people never demo at most places and that is watching a few broadcasts or even some prerecorded broadcasts of some of thier favorite shows. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone whose taste falls in the category of pop music and poorly miked shows as well as anything with a high pitched hiss (I personally think Nht ruins some lp performance playback).

B&Ws (except their 600 series which I didn't like the muddled midbass and coloration of the vocals but that might of been the gear it was matched too) are great speakers also and I think what it really comes down too on these products is the matched gear and source preferance. I also think that B&Ws work better with AVRs since Nhts are very inefficient also so unless your friend expects to buy a near the top of the line AVR (what I mean by this is the about $1500+ category) I would recommend buying the B&W as well (I not saying that the B&W is not revealing of equipment but that most AVRs when driven toward their limit becomes brighter imho).