NHT VR3/VC3 sans VT-3 anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gil D, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

The VR3's are intended for surrounds in a VT-3 setup but can also be used as mains according to the manual.

Curious to know if anyone has this combo up front and how it compares to VT-2 (or newer VT-2.4), 2.9's, and 3.3's from the midbass on up.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Gil, maybe Ricky T will chime in this one. He has experience with most of these speakers. I know he has liked the VR3's used as mains with a good sub.

The VT2 is the only speaker you listed that used a silk dome tweeter. The others use an aluminum one, so they should be somewhat brighter. The VR3 has 2 6.5 inch midbass drivers so I would think the VR3 has a strong midbass with detailed top end.

3. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Hopefully Ricky will see this and reply but I have a bit of experience in this as well. I know Ricky has a friend/relative that has a VR-3/SA-3 setup. I have heard a setup similar to this quite a few times at a local dealer. At one time he had a complete VT-3 system in the same room set up with VR-3's as satellites for Front L/R as well. He used a NHT Sub 2 for the bass on the VR-3's. The dealer had this to show customers their options if they could not fit the VT-3 towers in their room. First of all, I must say that the VR-3 system was unbelivable. He ran the VR-3s as full range and crossed the Sub over at around 60hz. This system will blow away many at any cost. The HT impact was outstanding. Music was top notch as well having great imaging and the bass was blended very well. I think the strength of the NHT systems was the vocals and midrange. Somehow that 3way driver configuration just gets it right. Having said all that, the satellite system could not compete with the VT-3 towers. The flexibilty of the crossover and powered subs is the best I have heard with the exception of only a few systems. This is where your question comes in. The VR-3s are exactly the same as VT-3 on the top end but somehow the VT-3 crossover and powered subs add something to the VT-3's you can't achieve in most situations with VR-3's and a sub. I agree with Charles that the VT/VR-3's may be a bit brighter than the VT-2's but not by much. As a matter of fact, the VT-3's are definitely not as agressive as the 2.9/3.3's. If you are looking at the VR-3's because of the deals you can get right now, I say go for it and you will not be disappointed just do not skimp on a sub for this package. But if you have the space for VT-3's, they will truly be a better option. You will have the subs/amps and crossovers all in one package.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Thanks guys. Ricky recommended this combo over at DT. I was looking for some more feedback on this combo from someone that hopefully has this setup or at least heard it since I have not come across it in my auditions (Thanks Eric!).
    I heard the VT-2 setup some time ago and liked it. My thought was that with the bipolar switchability of the VT series I could get the DefTech sound for HT and still have the musicality of NHT. The problem is that they changed the tweeter from soft dome to metal going from the VT-2 to the VT2.4, so I'm not sure if it's to my liking. I'm also pretty sure VT-3's are out of my reach. My guess is that the VT-3's compete very well with the DefTech BP2000's, perhaps even significantly better. With the VR3's I lose the bipolar sound option (bummer) but suspect I get a better monopole speaker. If the VR3's are less bright than 2.9's, I might be able to live with them. But you have to remember I'm a sonus faber guy [​IMG]

5. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Eric,

Any idea what amp and processor setup that dealer was using?

6. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Gil,

You may be a Def Tech fan and I have to admit I have only listened to them in dealer showrooms but in my opinion they are not in the same league. The drivers used in DTs are very inferior compared to NHTs. Also the amps in the 2000s are not nearly as beefy. I think you would be much more satisfied with VR-3's and a sub than any DTs. I'll probably get killed by DT owners but that's my opinion. It won't bother me if they bash NHT. I do not let things like that get under my skin. I just go put on another CD and enjoy the music. As for the processor the dealer was using, he wasn't. This dealer is a big Marantz dealer and was using their top of the line receiver, the SR-18 I believe. It still sounded wonderful and the main thing was that it wasn't going through any switch boxes. He had to literally switch the wires to play the other set.

7. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

My girlfriend uses the VT-2.4's (aluminum tweet) and I use the VT-2's (soft dome tweet). I broke her spks in for a couple of weeks, and her spks were great for HT, but were hard on the ears at high volumes for music. I was passively bi-amping with 225 watts to the highs/mids, and 250 to the lows. With my VT-2's, the music never sounded harsh even at ultra high volumes.

I believe the original VT-2 tower is (still) one of the best spks around.

8. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Eric,

What is your HT/music listening bias?

If you could get the following for the same price which would you go with:

1) VR3 & VC3

2) VT-2.4 & VCS-2.4 (or VC-3?)

3) VT-2 used & VCS-2.4 (or VC-3?)

4) M5's

Which side surround speaker options would you recommend with the above that are wall/shelf mountable. I have a pair of SuperOne Xu I can use for the surround backs in a 7.1 arrangement.

I'll have a sub for LFE and to cover the lowest octave no matter what combo I go with. Also, how deep is the soundstage with these NHT's and how would this setup compare to B&W N804/HTM2 or Sonus Concerto/Solo Home fronts?

I agree that the DT's are not nearly as musical IMO as the NHT's.

Thanks,

Gil

9. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Gil,

I owned VT-2s at one time and will always regret the day I sold them. I had to make a deal with the wife to get at projection TV and the VT-2s had to go. At the time I thought it was a good decision because NHT had new models out and my VT-2s were obsolete but nothing could be further from the truth. As for my HT/Music ratio its about 50/50 but I lean heavily towards musical truth instead of HT. My ratio is due to not having the time to sit and listen to music as much as I can watch TV and DVDs with my family. The speakers you are asking me to compare the NHTs to are great speakers but its hard for me to make the comparisons because I have little or no experience with them. I recently auditioned some B&W CDM series speakers and loved them. They are not nearly as detailed as NHTs but they have a warm lush midrange that is awesome. Thats all I can say about those speakers. Before I make any recommendations I want to say please do not use me as your sole source. I have opinions and thats all. You have to find a way to listen and make your own choices. Having said all that, I do not believe you can go wrong with any NHT speaker system. I would lean heavily towards the VR/VC-3 combo. As for side speakers, go ahead and get another pair of VR-3s. At the $450 they are going for you might as well spring for another pair. The M-5s are great but I do not think they are quite VR-3s. The M-6s are a much fairer comparison and they are well over 3k for the front 3 with subs and amps. Hope this helps and good luck.