What's new

NHT system (1 Viewer)

dosei

Auditioning
I'm putting together a HT system for the 1st time, a upgrade from a Sony "Dream System."

At a local store, the salesperson put this NHT speaker package together for a 6.1 system:

2 SB2's for front
1 SC-2 for center
2 SB1's for side
1 SC-1 for rear
1 SW10 for sub

Please provide your inputs for this speaker package. Does anyone think I should just get another SB1 for the rear (I think that saves some money too)? Is the SW10 sub decent? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm considering buying a AV receiver refurbished from H/K. Sounds like most people have positive experiences, but I want to hear if anyone has anything negative to say. If anyone has any opinions on the DPR 1001Z, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I think it would be a great setup. I would consider the SB1 for the rear center instead of the SC-1 but I don't think either one would be a mistake.

As for the sub, I think you can do better for the money. In the $600 range something like the UFW-10 from AV123 or one of HSU or SVS offerings would kill the NHT sub IMO.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't have anything specific to go on - but where possible, I would try and go with 3 SB2s across the front, rather than mixing in the SC-2 for the center. I'm just biased against changing the shape of the speaker for no real reason, so in my own setup, I've got SuperOnes across the front, rather than introducing the SuperCenter..

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

dosei

Auditioning
Thanks to Leo & Charles for your inputs.

It's interesting to hear people on these boards, who are more knowlegeble about the subject, to say they prefer not to use specific center channel speakers for the center channels. Are there any disadvantages to using center speakers as opposed to matching the speakers as previously mentioned?

My local store is offering the package I mentioned in the original post for $1400. I checked prices at onecall.com which is an authorized distributor, and the price is much lower that onecall. That's part of the reason I am considering this package.

I also live in a condo, so I'm worried about too much bass. Is it general consensus that NHT does not make quality subs?

dosei

Auditioning
Scott:
No as in it's not general consensus that NHT does not make good subs or no as in NHT does not make good subs? Sorry, I'm learning about this stuff, and need everything spelled out. Thanks for all the useful info already.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
NHT makes great subs - Honda makes great cars, like the Accord. NHT is like that. Works great, superb fit and finish, but not a hot rod.

That NHT sub will work great for an apartment / condo. Bass in movies will come across very well, and since you are not really looking to blow out the glass in the windows, it's plenty. Music will be splendid. Nothing to worry about, really. Most people here (no offense, guys) get caught up in the "more is better" idea, and while headroom in your sub is never a bad thing, there's no reason to over-do it if it's not needed. If you ever feel you need more, or want to tweak, add a second in a seperate location or add an EQ later.

The center thing is this - 2 drivers side by side, reproducing the same range of sound as many centers are designed to do, create a pattern of cancellation to the left and right of center. It's major or minor depending on many things, and noticeable if you know what to look for or are sensitive to that kind of anomoly. Using a 2-way bookshelf or a 3-way 4 driver center like the JBL 35 (?) alleviates this condition.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
no, that (that they do not make good subs) is not the "general consensus" about NHT subs

btw, if i were doing this, i'd just do 5.1 and use 4 (maybe even 5) sb2s. otherwise, i'd do 2 more sb1s, instead of the sc1 center as a rear, if you're dedicated to multiple surround speakers.

or how 'bout 6 sb2s, especailly if they're only sold in pairs?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
How about four SB3s and one SC2? My friend in NJ is selling four mint SB3s if you are interested.

A reburbished HK receiver should be fine driving these 8 ohm, 88db sensitivity NHT models (would probably not work well with 85dB, 6 ohm NHT Evolution M5s).

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
NHT makes good subs, I just think they are not the best bang for the buck. But if you get a better price buying the sub and considering the apartment, the NHT will be fine.

I can also vouch for any deal Ricky T comes up with. I would NOT dismiss his input. 4 SB3's and an SC2 would be a better setup than the one you listed.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I would recommend an Adire, HSU, SVS, or VMPS you won't live in an apartment forever and save yourself an upgrade step. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks