NHT SuperOnes or SB-2s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Scott, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

How do these speakers compare with the likes of the PSB Alpha B, Axiom M3ti, B&W 302, and similar products? Do NHTs have a certain "voice" of their own that would make them stand out from the crowd?

I'd like to use these in a HT situation, but I want them to be equally adept at audio; I didn't know whether they could handle 2-channel audio well.

Do any of you use the SuperOnes or SB-2s for HT and audio, and do you like them?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd get the SB2s. Definitely a good speaker for music, and HT will not be a problem. I felt they were easily better than the B&W 3 series, and probably equal if not a little better than the M3ti, and definitely the best looking of the bunch. They need a lot of clean power, and can reveal any weaknesses in your system quickly.

3. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

See my system below. I have the Super Zero's as well as other NHT speakers in my system and am very happy with it. Check out www.onecall.com for some NHT speakers.

Sony DA2ES
    NHT Super Zero
    NHT SW2P with MA-1A Amp
    NHT SuperCenter
    Sony CDP-X222ES
    Sony TC-K650ES
    Panasonic DVD-RV31
    JVC HR-5700U
    Samsung TXM3281HF

Ron

4. John Garcia

John
    If you can, give their Evolution M5s or M6s a listen. I really liked the M6s.

5. John B

John B Auditioning

I run a set of 5 superzeros with a Deftec 15tl. I've been incredibly happy with these for the 5 years I've had it. I've turned quite a few people onto HT with this setup.

I'm in the process of upgrading as well. I want mains with a better range. But, I haven't found anything that has convinced me that the price to upgrade would be worth it.

I do plan to take a pair of the superzeros to a local store tomorrow or Saturday so I can compare them with NHT's new line. I have heard NHT lovers go both ways: the new line is much better, and the new line doesn't compare. I need a face to face to find out.

As it stands, I'm leaning towards ordering a couple Superones and supercenter from onecall.com. Then I might keep my eye out for a pair of supertwos on audiogon...

-john

6. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

john, are your Super Zero's white or black? I may have talked with you a while back. If they are black and you ever want to sell a couple, let me know.

Ron

7. John B

John B Auditioning

I don't think it was me. That was my 3rd post ever. I've only been a member for a couple weeks. [​IMG]

I'll let you know if I upgrade and a pair comes up for sale.

BTW, they are black.

-john

8. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

I could not remember for sure. I talked with someone here about the NHT's and recomended www.onecall.com to them. I just found out last week that OneCall is the internet store for Huppins HiFi here in Spokane, WA. They are a good store. They have some pretty good prices on some NHT right now. I think they bought some remaining stock. I just picked a SuperCenter last week. Perfect match for the SuperZero and SuperOne. It sure sounds nice. It was a real good buy.

Ron

9. John B

John B Auditioning

Ron,

Do you mind describing the differences between running the supercenter as a center channel in comparison to the superzero?

How close are its characteristics to the superzero?

-john

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I used to own the NHT Superone and I have auditioned the SB2. The SB2 is excellent, and in my opinion, better than the Superone. I was using the Superone is a stereo setup in my small den. No sub, but the Superone handled itself very well....excellent imaging and very warm sounding. A lot of people complained these speakers are bright; I have no idea what they're talking about. I sold them because I was not getting enough low frequency output from them and I didn't want a sub in the small room. I auditioned the SB2 at a dealer when it was hooked up to a Classe integrated amp. The sound the SB2 produces is very airy and detail; not bright at all despite the new aluminum tweeter. The low frequency is well served by the new mid-range/woofer. I was surprised by the lack of low-end from the Acoustic Research mid-range/woofer on the Superone. In the end, I didn't get the SB2 because it was out of my budget at about $400/pair. I went with the Energy C-1, which I purchased at $275.00/pair, because it retained much of the SB2's sound quality but at a lower price. I am not saying the Energy C-1 is the equal of the SB2, merely that it was what I can afford at the time while giving me sound quality comparable to the SB2. Looking back, perhaps I should have went with the SB2.

Both the NHT and the Energy are winners in my book.

11. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Hi John, I have not used a Super Zero as a center channel speaker, so I cannot speak to that. I know that when I originally bought the Super Zero's several years ago, they said that they would work fine as a center speaker. I was using a JBL center channel speaker and although it was a good speaker, it did not sound like the Super Zero's at all. Now, it is a seamless transition all the way across the front. Sounds very nice.

Ron

12. John Garcia

John
    Accessories for Less seems to now be carrying buyout and refurb SB series speakers also, at decent (not great) prices. Worth a look.

While you are there, check the offerings from Mordaunt Short. In terms of bookshelf, the 902 is one of the best I've found, and it is quite stunning for the measley price of $239/pr (new) and the 912 for $349/pr (refurb). More bass than the SB2, with a similar upper mid-high section. Also very smooth for an aluminum tweeter, and they are also bi-wirable. I use the 902s in my bedroom system with no sub, and I am very pleased with them.

13. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Ron T.

It was me you were talking to about onecall and NHT. Thanks again for the onecall tip. I ordered my white Superzereos for my rear centers ealier this week. Can't wait to get 'em up and experience 7.1!!

Glad you like your supercenter. It does sound wonderful with the super series speakers, doesn't it.

6 NHT Superzeroes
    1 NHT SW2P sub & MA-1A amp
    1 NHT SuperCenter
    = 1 Very happy listener

14. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Great dan-0, glad you were able to get what you wanted and that I was able to help a bit. I would really like to get 2 more of the Super Zero's for my surrounds. I am going to try. I do really like the SuperCenter.

Ron