NHT subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenn, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone reading this forum has owned or had experiences with the NHT SW-2pi subwoofer package? It comes with the SA-2 mono amp since the SW-2si is a passive subwoofer. Was wondering what do you guys think of the perofrmance of this sub? I am looking for a 10" sub for both HT and playing back cds. But using it more for HT. I am not a person who really needs earth shattering bass, but enough to feel it If you get what i mean[​IMG] Anyways i was wanting to compare this to the velodyne VX-10 which is an entry level 10" sub or maybe even the CHT-10 but i could get the NHT for a cheap price used.

Comments appreciated. I am in Australia by the way

Regards.
    Kenn.

2. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

Ive owned a few of these subs and amps as well. It is an excellant sub/amp/crossover for music. Its tight and very musical. Now the downside is that for HT it doesnt have a whole lotta impact. Ive ran sine waves with it and it really rolls of at 38 hz. For a small room at lower volumes it may suffice. Its not boomy at all which is its best asset.Hope this helps

3. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this NHT will be better than the Velodyne VX-10 or maybe the CHT-10?[​IMG]
    So for music its really nice? I will use a fair bit of HT material on it like DVD's, i read somewhere from audioreview, some customers actually had things shaking using this sub? When watching LOTR i think it was[​IMG] You mean not a whole lot of impact meaning i won't 'feel' the bass? I am not a big fan of earth shattering bass just enough to feel it and a natural sound to it.

i don't want my neighbours knocking on my door hehe.

Regards.
    Kenn.

4. John-Tompkins

For music its better imo then the two you mentioned. For HT I would think they would be very close as far as impact. Yes, you wont feel the bass too much but on the other hand it is very punchy..maybe just the ticket for what you describe.Also it has a much more versitale crossover then the two you mentioned so blending it in with your mains will be easier with the nht..

5. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi John.

Thanks again for your input. I think i may go with the NHT sw2pi then. Although it is discontinued, i will still go with it. I can get a very good price on a used unit that comes with the amp and the passive sub. Around US$200. Do you think this is a good price?

I have JBL speakers currently, centre,fronts and rears. I have no idea which type of connection i should use from the MA-2 to the sw2si as there are 4 methods i think according to the manual of the NHT. I have a yahama rx-v595 DD5.1 receiver. Not sure if my speakers are considered large or small though. They are bookshelfs.

Should i be using the subwoofer out on my yamaha?

Regards.
    Kenn.

6. Kenn

Kenn Agent

^^ bump ^^ [​IMG]

7. John-Tompkins

What crossover points does your yammy have for your front speakers ? (probably only small and large)..The nht crossover has a 50 hz highpass setting which may be perfect for your jbls..This way you would set your sub to "none" and fronts on large..wire your speakers out from the nht crossover set at 50 hz...you would probably want to lowpass your nht sub at 80~100 hz..this will give you a bit of overlap but may produce the best effect.

However The easiest way to set it up would be to use the crossover in the yammy and set the fronts to small and sub yes..thereby not using the crossovers in the nht/sa-2

8. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi John.
    Thanks for the reply. Hmm let me check my yamaha specs for the front speakers.

Yes the fronts i can select small or large on the yammy. And under the filter characteristics section in the yammy manual it says:
    MAIN L/R. REAR L/R(SPEAKER SMALL)
    (H.P.F) ........ fc = 90Hz, 12dB/oct.
    SUBWOOFER
    (L.P.F) ........ fc = 90Hz, 18dB/oct.
    Not sure exactly what they mean but maybe you know?[​IMG]

Now for my front speakers specs , ie JBL J820M bookshelfs:
    There is a high frequency transducer(14mm Ti composite),no midrange transducer,there is a low frequency transducer(8").
    The crossover frequency is 3.5kHz and the frequency response(-6dB) is : 50Hz to 20kHz. Sensitivity is 90dB. Recommended amplified power is between 10 and 125W.

Hope these specs can help you out and me hehe[​IMG]
    And after all this not sure if my speaker is small or large hehe.

Regards.
    Kenn.

9. Kenn

Kenn Agent

^^bump ^^[​IMG]

10. Kenn

Kenn Agent

Hi John.

I just got my subwoofer+SA2 amp. So far its pretty nice. Watched gone in 60 seconds and Saving private ryan all in DD5.1 and its not bad Music is alright too. The thing is i am not sure which part of my room should i put the sub? I have it on the right side about 1.5 metre in front of my front right speaker and the sub is facing inwards as in centre. By the way when i up the volume to say 10:30 on the SA2 amp there is like a humming sound, a slight one at that, is that normal? If i lower the volume to say 8 o'clock or so i can't hear it, do you get this?

Regards.
    Kenn.