NHT SUB 2 and 5800/03

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by peter m. wilson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,
    I'm picking up this previously enjoyed unit to-day and it will be married to an upgraded Denon 5800.

The spec on the SUB2 says it goes to 21hz +-3 a Sunfire 500w amp, 2 10" drivers and separate controle box.
    I have 3 questions please.
    1. In the speaker setup the Denon asks "Do you have a THX ULTRA 2 sub or one that goes to 20hz. What should I answer here?
    2. Since the Denon wants controle should I use the separate controle box?
    3. I have a relatively small room 15'd X 10-12'w X 8'h, since I will not be running the volume anywhere near max will it help the juice at the bottom end or does volume have nothing todo with the spec?

Thanks,
    Peter m.

2. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

I'd just follow NHT's instructions and you'll be fine. If I'm not mistaken that THX Ultra2 spec is to ensure that your sub will go down to 20hz and play at a certain db level or something like that. I can't remember now.

I set my mains to large which causes a full range signal to the L/R fronts and then use the active crossover accordingly. My mains go down to 24hz so I set the LP to 40Hz and the HP to 40Hz. I'm constantly playing with these settings but I always fall back to these. Use the phase adjustment to meet your needs as this helps with the bass extension that could be lost due to room acoustics. That phase adjustment can really yield some great results.

I have two sub2i's and I absolutely love my NHT setup. Stereo subs rule. I may not upgrade to Revels after all now.

Oh yeah, my system currently consists of:
    Denon 4802(until I decide what pre/pro and amps I want)
    NHT VT2.4
    NHT VS2.4(5)
    NHT Sub2i(2)

Doug

3. peter m. wilson

Hi Doug, and thanks for the help.
    Your right about the manual and its one of the better ones.

Denon could take some lessons.
    My mains are monitors Totem Model 1 which will go cleanly to 40hz so I'm experimenting with the crossover at 60hz sofar.

Do you make any adjustments between film and music sources?

thanks again,
    Peter m.

4. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

I am more concerned with music than movies since I feel that if it sounds killer for music, it will also sound great for movies as well. No, I don't switch any settings around for movies and music. I can't remember the name of that dial(video contour??) now but I leave it set to flat. One thing I came across was that in the manual, I believe that they tell you to set the lfe effect dial to the 12o'clock position. In this position, I noticed distortion during the balins' tomb scene in LOTR when the orc drums start thumpin. I then turned the lfe effect dial back to the 10 o'clock position and the distortion was gone. It seems that the lfe effect dial at 12 o'clock was over cooking the lfe signal. This makes sense as I played with this sort of signal processing back in my electronics lab days.

Don't forget to use the spikes unless the sub is going to be on a wood floor. I couldn't believe the difference that made regarding bass extension.

I also followed the manuals advice with the placement of two sub2i's. I placed them in the same plane as my towers since I am running them in stereo. I guess I may just be lucky that my room doesn't really seem to suffer from room modes and this placement is ideal for me. Even when I just had one sub2i, I tried it in a corner, and several other places; it just did not sound good at all.

I also have the volume set to the 2o'clock position which is nicely balanced in that there is not too much bass.

Doug

5. peter m. wilson

Hi Doug,
    I didn't get spikes with the sub and it's on carpet, so I guess I'll have to get some!

Sofar I've tried 2 ways which seem to work pretty similarly. Method 1 was setting the crossover at 60hz, Method 2 was telling the Denon that I had a sub that went to 20hz. I tested both these setups with "Sat wars Clones, landing scene at the beginning" and the first "Nell in the bedroom (first visitation) of The Haunting.

The only thing I played with was the volume while leaving the switch to FLAT.

I guess once you set for "bypass" as recommended in the manual if your using a preout, it's pretty much the Denon taking care of things. I also noticed that in the 20hz setup The Denon automatically does something with Boundry Gain.

Anyway, the SUB 2 really brings things to life in a way I've never heard in my media room before. I didn't think my Totems could be more detailed until I gave the lowfreq to the NHT and while listening to the dvd-a "Riding with the King" (Eric Clapton and BB King) which has lots of bass, it sounds like we're all in the same room.

Doug, thanks again for your help and if you think of anthing else please let me know.

Peter m.

6. peter m. wilson

Hi Doug,
    I still have the Paradigm PDR 8. Is there any way I can still use it with the controller even though the spec is entirely different.

I was wondering if I plugged it in to the white input, (the Sub 2 is plugged into the red) that it would pickup frquencys from 60 to 80 and the sub 2 would do frequencys below that. I was also wondering if it could put it on top of the sub 2.

Thanks,
    Peter m.