NHT Speaker Advicce

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jarod_L, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

Im planning on getting a pair of T6's for the front, and then running M6's for the center, side and rear for a 7.1 surround setup. The room is ~350sq ft. Since the T6's have 4 12" subs in each tower, would I need to add a sub to this system? Also, are there any better combinations I can run for sides and surrounds beside the M6's, I cant do wall mounts, so the L5's arent an option. Thanks.

2. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

This will all be run off of a B&K AVR507.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

No need for a separate sub. The M6s are the perfect surround choice. This will be a smoking system!

4. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Having that many subwoofers will be a nightmare with bass cancellation. Will you also have a LFE sub? That means you'll have a total of three subs. IMO I would just go with floorstanders or largish standmounts without subs; say 30-60hz LF response, and buy one or two high quality subs.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You will still want a sub. Nice choice, I really like the M6s. I agree with John. IMO, I'd just go with M6s (or even M5s for surrounds) all around and get a nicer sub.

6. Tony Genovese

The subs that mate with the M6 (and they are only two, each with 2 12" woofers, not four) are about as nice as you can get. Very extended (to 24 hz anyway) and very linear and they will play very loud. I would run stereo bass using the X1 crossover, and if your processor allows it, route the LFE through the X1. That way you can control the LFE output, as it will be sent to the two subwoofers. One can certainly make the case for separate subs that can be placed anywhere for better room blending, but that's a separate issue, and the X1 crossover offers considerable flexibility with regard to bass blending.

7. John Garcia

John
    The T6s are no slouch in terms of bass, my only concern would be room effect with multiple subs.

8. Tony Genovese

Absolutely. But NHT does build in some adjustments in the X1 crossover to accomodate some of these effects. I must say that I've gone back and forth regarding full range vs sub/sats for best blending in the room, and have owned some of each. Still not sure on what side of the fence I sit [​IMG].

9. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

Thanks for the response, I demo'd the T6's with no subs vs a Snell E5 with seperate snell sub, and although its not equal, the T6 blew it away. So I think I'm going to go with the T6 for fronts instead of M6's with seperate subs like the U1. How do the M5 vs M6 compare for surrounds and center? I know some people prefer the sound of the SB2 over SB3 in the lower model line. Also, just to make sure there is no need for a seperate sub with the T6's? Just adjust the crossovers accordingly.

10. John Garcia

John
    Did you hear the T6s in YOUR room? Can make a HUGE difference. Ever heard an SVS? [​IMG] If you are looking for rumble, I still say you will want a sub that goes to 20Hz or lower, convincingly. If you are not concerned with hitting all of that bottom octave, then the T6s should be fine.

IMO the M5s will be plenty for surrounds, but for center I'd stick with the M6. This was the setup I was considering, and though I went with another manufacturer, I kept with the same philosophy - three identical MTMs up front and (coming in this week) corresponding rears, which are not MTM.

I prefer the SB3 to the SB2. In fact, I'd almost even say the SB3 would be good enough for surrounds.

11. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

I am going to have to go listen again, but I think by adding another seperate sub to the theater, it would just be too much in such a small room, especially since the T6's put out some decent bass already. Also, I think im going to stick with the M6's for surrounds, I know the M5's will be good enough but Id rather just buy the best right off the bat and not keep thinking how it would sound if I bought the M5's instead. Thanks for your help,Any other suggestions

12. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Hey, Jarod, nice selection for a full surround sound setup. I have some T5s up front, M5 center, and L5s for surrounds (5.1 setup), and really like it. I'm not sure what some of these cats on here are saying about getting a better sub. Those NHT subs will run with just about anything on the market, just ask my neighbors. Like Tony pointed out, they go down to 24 Hz, and are very nice and tight. I use my X1 crossover to dial the bass in just right depending upon what I'm listening to. Little less for music, little more for action movies. I know in your last post that you stated that you have no more concerns about the NHT subs, but just for grins, grab yourself a copy of U571, and demo the Depth Charged scene at your dealer. The NHTs are a quality sub.

13. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

Thanks so your not running a seperate sub with your T5's? I was really impressed with the T6's and if I need to add a sub then I will, but right now doesnt make to much sense. Also, what are most people paying for T6's, dealer quoted me 3400.

14. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

15. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

Have any reccomendations for stores dealers in the tri state area?

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Have you checked out SoundCity?

Sound City

* What I found being a bit funny is that when you type in "crazyeddie.com" it gets redirected to the Sound City Web site. [​IMG]

[Edit]: Just realized that Sound City sells PSB and not NHT speakers. [​IMG] [​IMG] - Sorry about that.

17. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

The Soundcity in Denville does sell NHT Evolution speakers; I was there a few months ago.

18. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

Anyone have any experience with acoustic sound design?

19. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Jarod, I can understand you wanting to go local BUT that link that Ricky posted is one kick ass deal. They DO state you get the full manufactures warranty.

I've also heard more than 1 person state they prefer the M5's over the M6's but haven't listened to either personlly.

20. Jarod_L

Jarod_L Extra

It is a great deal, but I'm really looking for the T6/M6 combo.